Supply chain management senior Brenda Araiza looks out over the coastal city of San Sebastian. (Photo Courtesy of Brenda Araiza) Supply chain management senior Brenda Araiza looks out over the coastal city of San Sebastian. (Photo Courtesy of Brenda Araiza)

Travel is too often perceived through starry eyes and rose-colored glasses, but the reality is that embracing new cultures means confronting both the positive and the negative.

Supply chain management senior Brenda Araiza studied abroad in San Sebastian, Spain, during the widespread eurozone crisis in 2012. Although the crisis didn't interfere with her desire and ability to explore the area's rich history, breathtaking sights and marvelous landscapes, it gave her a deeper look into the heart of the Spanish people.

Read more breathtaking travels of students abroad here and here!

Araiza spent the summer studying in the Spanish coastal city, where she visited the beach, took tours, tasted "every possible food" and soaked up abundant knowledge about Europe. Even the city's natural beauty couldn't distract her from a desire to do more for the community she called home for three months.

The coastal Spanish city of San Sebastian. (Photo Courtesy of Brenda Araiza) The coastal Spanish city of San Sebastian. (Photo Courtesy of Brenda Araiza)

Araiza recalls the mass unemployment and major protests that were pulsing through the country during her stay, as well as the international chatter about Spain potentially heading toward the same economic downfall as its neighbors Greece and Italy. Deeply bothered by the strife and struggle, she was driven to help.

She participated in a community service event with the local town church where she helped host activities, food and clothing giveaways for the needy people in the community.

"It made me realize that poverty is prevalent everywhere and that there are many people that need help no matter where they come from," Araiza said.

This service project was one of many events that opened her eyes to the diverse needs and backgrounds within the community. Araiza also befriended immigrants from Argentina, Chile, Guatemala and Nicaragua who lived in her host mother's neighborhood. Although she didn't anticipate being exposed to such a diverse array of ethnic backgrounds while in Spain, Araiza soon realized that Europe is truly a melting pot of cultures, just like the U.S.

Ultimately, Araiza's experience of the highs and lows in a country that is so aesthetically magnificent gave her a fresh take on diversity and how one can explore a new land in a fully engaged way.

"It just takes a little looking around and getting to know people to embrace the diversity of the country," Araiza said. "When you study abroad, you should look to find unique lessons to open your perspectives and grow as an individual."

Share your travel stories with the reporter at celina.jimenez@asu.edu or on twitter @lina_lauren.

×