'Cactus Cup' to wrap up ASU hockey's first semester

Connor Schmidt

Connor Schmidt pictured playing against the University of Arizona's hockey team, prior to his release from the team on Wednesday, Jan. 20, 2016, for violating team rules. 

Defender Connor Schmidt looks for an open teammate at a home game against UA. ASU beat UA 4-1 on Oct. 10, 2014. (Photo by Mario Mendez) Defender Connor Schmidt looks for an open teammate at a home game against UA. ASU beat UA 4-1 on Oct. 10, 2014. (Photo by Mario Mendez)

Rivalries don’t take weeks off.

That’s the motto for No. 1 ASU hockey (20-2) as it takes on rival UA on Friday and Saturday night.

With the latest edition of the Territorial Cup taking place last Friday, coach Greg Powers and the Sun Devils return to the ice Friday for the newest installment of the "Cactus Cup" in Tucson.

After a grueling stretch of play that saw several key players miss time because of injury, having last week off for the Thanksgiving holiday was a welcome break.

“Our guys are well rested and should be firing on all cylinders,” Powers said.

This weekend’s matchup may be one of the final matchups of the Cactus Cup, as ASU’s announced move to the NCAA level in the coming years has jeopardized future match-ups of the rivalry.

“We'll see how it stays alive,” Powers said. “We will play UA in our hybrid season (in 2015-16) but moving forward after that we will not be able to. So we have this year and next to continue the rivalry.”

Powers is looking to make some history while the rivalry is still alive, as a win this weekend would mark the 150th in his coaching career. It would also be Powers’s 42nd career win over UA.

“It’s always great to hit milestones, but really it doesn't matter,” Powers said. “Any win vs. UA is a good win.”

A win, however, is no guarantee over the No. 20 Wildcats (9-8-3). UA has already put together its fair share of early upsets in 2014-15 behind a physical, grind-it-out style of play.

“If we outwork our opponent, we win, so we'll focus on outworking UA to avoid any upset,” Powers said. “Emotions run high in Tucson, so we'll keep our guys in check.”

ASU will again be forced to try to shut down UA forwards Robbie Wilkinson and Alex Nespor, who have combined for 26 points and 17 points this season. Despite a lack of death that has forced Powers to move sophomore Jarrod Levos back to defense and call up Liam Pues from the Division II team, Powers said he was confident he’d shut them down.

Powers has said since early in the 2014-15 season that great goaltending is the way way to beat ASU. UA's Garrett Patrick has done his best to do just that this season, allowing 3.32 goals per game with a .903 save percentage in 16 starts this season.

ASU is coming off of a weekend sweep of No. 12 Illinois that saw a dominating performance by scrappy sophomore forward Eric Rivard, who contributed three goals over the two games. Rivard has 24 points (14 goals, 10 assists) in 21 games so far this season.

Sophomore goaltender Robert Levin has reasserted himself as one of the best goaltenders in the ACHA in his second season, posting a 17-2 record and allowing 2.00 goals per game with a .927 save percentage.

ASU won the previous two matchups against UA this season 4-1 and 3-0 in Tempe. The Sun Devils have won 41 of their 42 games against the Wildcats under Powers, with the lone loss coming on ASU’s Senior Night last spring.

ASU opens up its Cactus Cup weekend series against UA on Friday at the Tucson Convention Center in Tucson. Puck drop is expected at 7:30 p.m.

Injury Report

- ASU is expecting the return of sophomore defenseman Alex Temby after he missed the previous series against Illinois to attend to a family matter. The Colorado native has three points (three assists) in 13 games this season.

Reach the reporter at fardaya@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @fardaya15

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepresssport on Twitter

×