Jaelen Strong to forgo senior season at ASU, enter 2015 NFL draft

Jaelen Strong

Redshirt junior wide receiver Jaelen Strong pulls in a three-yard touchdown catch in the second quarter of ASU's game against UA at Arizona Stadium in Tucson in the 88th Territorial Cup on Nov. 28, 2014. 

Redshirt junior wide receiver Jaelen Strong pulls in a three-yard touchdown catch in the second quarter of ASU's game against UA at Arizona Stadium in Tucson in the 88th Territorial Cup on Nov. 28, 2014. (Photo by Alexis Macklin) Redshirt junior wide receiver Jaelen Strong pulls in a three-yard touchdown catch in the second quarter of ASU's game against UA at Arizona Stadium in Tucson in the 88th Territorial Cup on Nov. 28, 2014. (Photo by Alexis Macklin)

ASU football redshirt junior wide receiver Jaelen Strong will enter the 2015 NFL draft, the University announced Monday.

Strong had one more year of NCAA eligibility after transferring from Pierce College in Los Angeles to play two seasons for the Sun Devils.

"This has been one of the most difficult decisions of my life," Strong said in a statement. "I’ve spoken to my family and we feel it is best for me to declare for the 2015 NFL draft."

Strong was redshirt senior quarterback Taylor Kelly's favorite and most reliable target for his two seasons as a Sun Devil. In his first year on campus, Strong caught 75 passes for 1,122 yards and seven touchdowns. In 2014, he matched those numbers, catching 74 balls for 1,064 yards and 10 touchdowns.

He is just the third receiver in school history to eclipse 1,000 yards in two consecutive seasons. He ranks seventh in ASU history in receptions and was named on five All-America teams. He was a semifinalist for the Biletnikoff Award this season and a first-team All-Pac-12 selection.

Most draft experts have Strong graded among the top five or six receivers in the 2015 NFL draft class. Similar to last year, it's a draft loaded with wide receiver talent. Strong is expected to go in the mid-first to mid-second rounds.

"Jaelen's enormous impact was felt from the first day he stepped on the practice field with us more than 16 months ago," ASU coach Todd Graham said in a statement. "His work ethic, attention to detail and overall football IQ are just a few of his attributes that make him such a special talent." 

The question now becomes how the Sun Devils replace almost 150 catches over two seasons. Strong missed practices last week, which allowed other receivers to preview what the options look like for next season.

Here's a look at the top returning targets for 2015:

D.J. Foster: 59 receptions, 646 yards, three TDs

Cam Smith: 41 receptions, 596 yards, six TDs

Kody Kohl: 14 receptions, 145 yards, four TDs

Fred Gammage: 12 receptions, 104 yards, one TD

Ellis Jefferson: 10 receptions, 137 yards, two TDs

Gary Chambers: nine receptions, 190 yards, two TDs

Reach the reporter at ewebeck@asu.edu or follow him on Twitter @EvanWebeck

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow them on Twitter @statepresssport

×