Beyond the glitz: meaningful unknown awards shows

(Photo courtesy of Film Independent)
(Photo courtesy of Film Independent)

(Photo courtesy of Film Independent) (Photo courtesy of Film Independent)

The world buzzes with gossip and predictions about shows such as the Golden Globes, the Grammys and the Academy Awards for months before the shows premiere. Although the artists, actors and creative minds behind the honored movies and albums frequently offer meaningful work, it can often feel like the glitz and glam clouds the artistry.

This struggle is even more difficult for those who are honored in lesser-known awards ceremonies. Not all of these shows have the notoriety and image surrounding them that the Academy Awards do, but the nominees still deserve to be recognized for their commitment to the art.

Independent Spirit awards: Maybe this ceremony doesn't honor the underground independent filmmakers that thrive in large cities and college towns, but it does recognize outstanding work in a more mainstream independent environment. It not only acknowledges the unique artistry that illuminates independent film, but also the limited amount of resources that so many independent filmmakers face.

It is not uncommon to see Independent Spirit nominees in the list of nominees for Golden Globes and Academy Awards (though, thankfully, the Independent Spirit board has chosen to honor "Selma," a film which was unfortunately and notoriously ignored by the Academy). For the most part, the films nominated for Independent Spirit awards go against the grain in a way that many of the films produced by top studios lack.

Read more about the "Selma" snub here!

The Ivor Novello Awards: Writing is the backbone of many great art forms, and the Ivor Novello Awards recognize that very well. This British ceremony goes beyond recognizing the artistry of music's sound and honors the brilliant minds behind the words and composition. Well-known past winners include Passenger, Tom O'Dell and Mumford & Sons.

The special quality that this awards ceremony holds is that it recognizes a very specific segment of a largely talented community. By limiting itself to only British nominees, one might wonder if Ivor Novello is discounting the talents of the international population of writers. However, by presenting specified recognition, it is allowing regional writers to shine even more brightly than they would otherwise.

NME Awards: The NMEs may be another Brit-based awards show, but it is entirely different than the Ivor Novellos, as it includes international artists. Founded in 1953 by the music magazine NME (New Musical Express), this awards show recognizes a variety of artists in an eccentric yet genuine manner. It congratulates some artists by awarding them titles such as "best new band" and "best single," and pokes fun at others through its "hero of the year" and "villain of the year" awards. It also recognizes the smaller details of musical success through awards such as "best band social media."

This year's nominees include Lana Del Rey for best solo artist, Tame Impala for best international band and Chvrches for best British band.

Costume Designers Guild Awards: Even the most casual film lovers recognize that a great movie is so much more than quality acting; it's an intentional combination of aesthetics, musical composition, meaningful words and attention to detail that powerfully engages the senses. The Costume Designers Guild Awards recognizes the beauty behind the art of style and design that enriches each and every character. Nominees are recognized for their work in various genres, including period pieces, fantasy and commercials.

The recognition extends into both film and television. In fact, this year's television design nominees include programs as diverse as "Saturday Night Live" and "Game of Thrones."

Even if you can't watch every one of these award shows (or don't care to do so), it's worth recognizing that large amounts of artistry and creativity take place away from the mainstream glamour of the red carpet awards shows. Check out complete lists of awards shows for more information.

Reach the reporter at celina.jimenez@asu.edu or on twitter @lina_lauren.

Like The State Press on Facebook and follow @statepress on Twitter

×