Five A&E things you missed over break

Welcome back to school! While you were out skiing, watching Netflix or even spending time with your family, you may have missed some arts and entertainment events. It's OK, though, because I've made a shortlist of what you missed. Take notes, as there will be a quiz at the end of this article.

5. Madonna's album leaked

Four and a half months before it was set to be released, Madonna's forthcoming album "Rebel Heart" was released in not one, but two leaks just before Christmas. To quote Liz Lemon, "You can be like Madonna and cling to youth with your Gollum arms. Or you can be like Meryl Streep and embrace your age with elegance." I'll take Madonna on this one because of how well she handled this surprise release.

4. JK Rowling released new information

The prolific author of the "Harry Potter" series did made two notable moves over our winter break. First, she released 12 stories on Pottermore, the website for the continued love of everything Potter.

Read more coverage of Pottermore releases here!

Second, in an unrelated but similarly covered event, she wrote on Twitter that Hogwarts has gay students. It was a magical moment that I think could have been shared when the books were prominent and new, honestly.

3. HBO's "Girls" premiered

On this, the year of our Lord 2015, Lena Dunham gave the people either what they wanted or what they would sit through, because it's a show that everyone always talks about. The fifth season of "Girls" premiered on Jan. 11. The trailer features our loved/hated Hannah in — gasp — Iowa, while everyone else is pretty much in the same boat. Here's to another season we'll inevitably end up watching.

2. "The Interview" descended upon theaters

Sony showed the movie after an embarrassing hack that promised threats of terrorism, as well as a leak of emails from the likes of Channing Tatum. The real story here, after that of the bizarre form of cyber warfare, is that this is Sony's highest grossing online release ever.

1. Snooze opened on College Avenue

First off, you should look out for my forthcoming review of this breakfast place. Already a Phoenix staple, the restaurant, along with Postino next door, brings Tempe a desperately needed breakfast place. Snooze seeks to "transform this once quiet section of campus into a thriving streetscape," according to a press release.

Tell the reporter how you like your eggs at pnorthfe@asu.edu or follow @peternorthfelt on Twitter.

×