Messy, meaningful motivation to move this year

Jim Brandt, 48, traverses one of the many obstacles in the Warrior Dash. (Photo courtesy of Jim Brandt)

Jim Brandt, 48, traverses one of the many obstacles in the Warrior Dash. (Photo courtesy of Jim Brandt) Jim Brandt, 48, traverses one of the many obstacles in the Warrior Dash. (Photo courtesy of Jim Brandt)

"I'm serious this year," you say to yourself as you haphazardly scribble the words 'work out more' on your last-minute list of New Year's resolutions for the 10th time. "I really will start tomorrow."

Motivation can be painfully difficult to find, but perhaps the solution is to find a meaningful or entertaining goal that makes an afternoon full of Netflix and take-out slightly less appealing (at least temporarily). Phoenix is a site for hundreds of out-of-the-ordinary runs every year that attract thousands of athletes and running novices alike.

1) Color Run - Jan. 24: If you're not opposed to getting beautifully messy while getting a decent workout, why not run around Tempe Town Lake while strangers throw dyed powder at you? Touting itself as "The Happiest 5k on Earth," the Color Run is a positive, energetic experience for all the senses. While you can choose to run at a steady pace at the head of the group, there's no shame in walking, jogging or just straight up meandering. No matter how you choose to participate, the Color Run truly is as happy as it claims to be. Many lively runners can be seen scooping up extra powder and throwing it on their clothing to ensure they have an especially colorful t-shirt to take home as a souvenir.

Past runners are fond of the unique experience of the Color Run and the vibes it provides overall. Junior Ethan Chung, a supply chain management major who participated in the run in 2013, felt that the run was "a good way to promote exercise for a good cause." In addition to the uniqueness of the run overall, Chung also enjoyed the long walk in the rain that he and his teammates experienced, proving that even the gloomiest weather cannot truly dim the shine in this happy run. The 2015 tour is set to bring new twists to the event as well as an extra bit of sparkle.

Team registration is $45 per person, and individual registration is $49.50.

2) Blacklight Run - Jan. 31: This is essentially a next-level Color Run. Instead of being doused in regular colored powder, participants are covered in UV powder that will glow in the dark once they reach the run's blacklight zones. Obviously, due to the nature of the glowing process, this run takes place in the evening. This event is family-friendly and includes a blacklight after-party for those who wish to bask in their literal glow and continue soaking up the energy even when the run is over.

As with most "fun runs," the Blacklight Run is easy for runners of all levels, including non-runners who prefer to not get their heart racing too rapidly. It takes place at the Goodyear Ballpark, which is about 40 minutes from ASU's Tempe campus, 35 minutes from West, 25 minutes from Downtown, and an hour from Polytechnic.

Standard registration is $20 until Jan. 14, and then goes up to $60. VIP registration is $45 until Jan. 14, and then goes up to $75.

3) Spartan Race - Feb. 7 & 8: First and foremost, it is essential to recognize that the Spartan Race is not for the faint of heart. Most racers design their workout schedules in the months leading up to this race to specifically prepare them for the obstacles and taxing courses this race includes. However, there is extreme motivation to be found in the process of training with a group and pushing each other through such a grueling course, and if you're willing to accept the challenge, you certainly won't forget this race.

The Spartan Race comes in three forms: Sprint, Super, and Beast. Phoenix is only home to the Spartan Sprint this year, but don't think the 3+ mile dash with 15+ obstacles won't still leave your limbs wobbling and your lungs heaving as you cross the finish line. If you've ever dreamed of crawling, climbing, sliding and sprinting through a mix of rugged wilderness terrain, "Survivor"-style, the Spartan race might be great for you.

Racers can choose to run on either Saturday, Feb. 7 or Sunday, Feb. 8. Teams are released in several waves of 250 people each, but if you want to race for an actual prize, be sure to show up for the first elite heat. The Spartan Race even offers something for the adventurous kiddos in your life in their 10 a.m. kids race.

Registration for Saturday is $100, and Sunday is $90.

4) Warrior Dash - Apr. 11: The Warrior Dash is sort of like the Spartan Race's laid-back cousin: it doesn't require as much training or polished skill, but it does come with the same challenge of traversing muddy, diverse terrain through various obstacles. This is definitely not for the faint of heart either, but you don't necessarily need to be undergoing intense training in order to prepare for it. Obstacles include plenty of climbing, jumping, balancing, and even a bit of swimming.

Chemist Jim Brandt, 48, has run the Warrior Dash every year since 2011. Although Brandt is one of many runners who sees the event as a fun way to engage in competition and challenge themselves, he acknowledges that many other runners choose to dress in whimsical costumes and don't necessarily care when or if they finish the race. Simply put, this run is what you make of it.

"I signed up to give me something I could fail at," Brandt says. "I then let my fear of failure get me up off the sofa to train. And you have a great time as a payoff".

The free beer at the end doesn't hurt either, he says.

The registration prices are as follows:

• $65 until 11:59 p.m. on Feb. 3
  • $70 until 11:59 p.m. on March 3
  • $75 until 11:59 p.m. on March 31
  • $90 until 11:59 p.m. on April 10
  • $100 at event, April 11

5) Pat's Run - Apr. 25: Colored dust, mud and obstacles are excellent motivators, but it's hard to beat an event that supports a good cause and honors the memory of an ASU legend. The run is named after the late Pat Tillman, an ASU football alumnus who passed away in 2004 while serving with the U.S. Army overseas. Pat's Run not only honors Tillman's legacy, but also raises scholarship funds for Tillman Military Scholars. The course runs all the way through downtown Tempe and finishes at Sun Devil Stadium.

This 4.2-mile run attracts people of all ages and athletic backgrounds. The main purpose of this run is the charity and the memory behind it, so there's no pressure to run for time. Ultimately, it is an amazing opportunity to challenge yourself for a good cause and be surrounded by a likeminded yet diverse group of people.

Registration is $42 until Feb. 1, $45 from Feb. 2 to March 31 and $50 from April 1 to April 17.

6) Aruna Run - Feb. 7: Running for an amazing cause truly does do something wonderful for the body and soul. The Aruna Run, which takes place in Goodyear, benefits the Aruna Project, an organization that strives to put an end to the horrors of commercial sexual exploitation and slavery in South Asia. When you participate in the Aruna Run, you are running in the name of a particular exploited woman and raising funds and awareness to help free her. While this event is unfortunately not as well-known as the previously mentioned runs, its impact is profound. Its registration fee of $25 may be (delightfully) small, but it magnifies into truly life-changing physical, emotional and mental results for these women.

Reach the reporter at celina.jimenez@asu.edu or follow @lina_lauren on Twitter.

×