ASU students discuss education budget cuts with politicians at Arizona Capitol

Members of the Undergraduate Student Government Downtown and USG West gathered at the Arizona Capitol on Wednesday to discuss a proposed $75 million in cuts to higher education and explain the impacts the cuts would have on ASU with members of the state Legislature.

About 90 people packed the Senate Appropriations Committee hearing, and many of those in attendance were fellow students speaking about how Gov. Doug Ducey's budget proposal could be detrimental to both students and the University.

Legislators showed sympathy toward students but said a budget cut may be necessary because of the high deficit.

ASU College of Public Policy Senator Ryan Boyd said it is really important for students to be aware of what’s going on with the budget cut because it could mean a dramatic rise in tuition for everyone and it would become difficult for students to pay for school.

“We definitely want to see more students involved and speaking up, because we are a huge impact, and it’s something that could potentially affect all of us," Boyd said.

ASU College of Public Policy Senator Liz Greg said the main points brought up during the hearing were that cut funding for the university means minimizing ASU's impact in the community.

“ASU has a huge impact on the community providing research and innovation in many different areas," Greg said. "We are investing in our future."

Reach the reporter at Sglopez3@asu.edu or follow her on Twitter @Soyenixe.

×