My journey with Nemo Nobody

I decided I wanted to watch "Mr. Nobody" when I came to the realization that Jared Leto looks different in just about every movie he stars in, and the movie only confirmed my theory. Other than knowing Jared Leto was the star of this movie, I knew nothing else about it before watching, as I do with most movies I watch. Let me tell you, this movie was something else. I can honestly say that "Mr. Nobody" was unlike any movie I’ve ever seen.

When trying to describe this movie, the first word that came to mind is “philosophical”. Watching this movie will have you questions things that most of us think to be just simple traits of reality. The movie both directly and indirectly questions the possibility of time in a way that makes you question it as well. However, it takes a little while to get to that realization.

The beginning of the movie starts off with a bang, weaving in all the different aspects of the movie right off the bat, and let me tell you it’s pretty confusing. The beginning of the movie is crucial to understanding and enjoying the rest of the movie, so make sure you are paying attention. About 15 minutes in, the pieces start coming together, but it isn’t until the very end of the movie that you get the full message until the very end.

I’m the kind person who likes everything straightforward and to the point. If you are anything like me, this movie will be a little rough at the beginning. It really requires an open mind and an abstract way of thinking. When I first started it, I honestly didn’t think I was going to like it. Don’t give up on it; by the end you will be pleasantly surprised. I will say the end took me some time, and a brief explanation from a friend, in order for me to truly understand, but I really enjoyed the message and the way it made me think.

If you are the kind of person that likes movies on the fringe of reality or movies that really make you think, I really recommend "Mr. Nobody". It is definitely a one of a kind movie, and Jared Leto does a wonderful job at doing his role justice. Even if the abstract is not someone you would consider yourself interested in, I would still recommend the watch if only just to try it out. Who knows? You might be surprised.

Join the conversation and reach the writer at ybrewste@asu.edu.

Jesi is an English Lit and Transborder studies double major. She enjoys reading, writing, and the occasional social experience. She is most comfortable in areas where there is food, otherwise known as the quickest way to her heart.

×