Downtown Phoenix is generally deserted, but with the Super Bowl coming to Arizona, people from all over the country have gathered to experience its festivities. One of these events was a free concert on Jan. 30, featuring local band the Technicolors and prominent indie-poppers Walk The Moon.

The Technicolors woke up a wet crowd as it had been sprinkling throughout the day. The band's energy and moves created bursts of cheers and dancing. The group did a great job at pleasing a group of older ladies behind me who were yelling at the stage, "Super Bowl, get your s**t together" as they swung their beers and demanded music.

After that amazing performance, Walk The Moon hit stage to the sounds of "Circle of Life" from The Lion King. This would ultimately set the stage, literally, for a life-changing experience.

From the second they walked onto the stage, energy levels were at maximum. Even with the slower songs, heat was created in the cold weather. The crowd united as one, making temporary connections with the array of people surrounding each other.

Nick Petricca initiated the first-timers to the show with the song, "I Can Lift A Car," which was an experience within itself. Petricca motioned through his whole being to push whatever bad was out and let all the good into the crowd. He also made his hips move in motion all night, creating weak knees to the fan girls and boys in the audience, as if his voice did not already do that.

"Avalanche" definitely made me feel some kind of way. My heart beat felt as if it had stopped, but my feet kept moving, just the same as the audience. An "only dance alone in the dark of my room" kind of person like me became engulfed into the concert culture of feeling free to dance.

One word that could summarize the night is magical, and not just because fireworks blasted at the end of the performance, which is now a "demand" by Walk the Moon according the band's Twitter. People from all over the country came together to sing and have a good time. The Super Bowl did well in the sense that it brought such a diverse group together for one night.

The concert ended with the band's hit song, "Anna Sun." Our ghost town of a city was full of happy souls and good vibes. Not a frown or sense of boredom in sight. Everyone was sure to leave feeling inspired to do something, even if that was going back to your home or car to blast "Shut up and Dance."

We won't live forever, but it is very likely that this concert by the Technicolors and Walk The Moon will live forever in the hearts of the audience.

Not only will Walk the Moon bless Arizona again on May 7 at Rialto Theatre in Tucson, but on Apr. 3, the Technicolors will be opening for The Maine for the band's American Candy Tour at the Marquee Theatre in Tempe.

Reach the reporter at ryan.santistevan@asu.edu or follow @ryanerica18 on Twitter

×