Student media training for budding journalists, not university cheerleader

(Editorial cartoon by Kelcie Grega)
(Editorial cartoon by Kelcie Grega)

(Editorial cartoon by Kelcie Grega) (Editorial cartoon by Kelcie Grega)

Founded in 1906, The State Press boasts a history as rich as the illustrious institution on which we spend long days and even longer nights reporting. Although we’ve gone through several name changes and transitioned from a daily newspaper and then to a weekly before bidding adieu to print and becoming all digital, one thing has always stayed the same: our mission to cover ASU and its surrounding areas in the most ethical, responsible and original way.

As stated on the ASU State Press Facebook page, our mission statement reads, “We are a bold, risk-taking digital student media organization intent on ethically serving, provoking and challenging a large, changing university audience.” This reflects what we believe to be the purpose of all student media organizations. We are here to analyze and report on the happenings of our large university in unique, unbiased, ethical ways that will challenge the way our readers think and elicit reactions that ignite passionate, informed discourse.

We strive to provide coverage on all of the communities found within ASU. We attend and report on events on all four campuses in the Phoenix area, though we're continuing to work on becoming more versed on issues occurring at the West and Polytechnic campuses.

In order to provide a subject of interest for every member of our continually changing student body, we share the opinions of people on both sides of political lines, and sometimes, those who aren’t on a side at all. Sporting events from hockey to football and everything between are meticulously reported on by sports fanatics so passionate about upholding the integrity of the game that they don’t always reflect ASU sports teams or the student section as the best in the U.S. The truth of the matter is that ASU isn’t always the winner, and we strive to report fair stories.

This is the beauty of reporting. It’s challenging and controversial, and often readers might not like what is being written, even if it is the truth. It’s a bittersweet job that has as many highs as it does lows. At the end of the day, it’s worth it. Someone has to shed light on the issues and ensure that the public is aware without being swayed in a particular direction.

Anyone who is willing to learn, is devoted to reporting, designing or photographing, and takes pride in what they do is welcomed with open arms to our news organization. (Note: We’re still hiring. Interested parties may apply here.) We exist to serve as both students and teachers for budding journalists from all backgrounds, majors and ASU campuses. We’re not here because we’re the most talented writers in the country — not yet, at least. That doesn’t stop us from wanting to “just be better.” (One of our many newsroom mottos).

We spend our free time roaming the ASU campus searching for the bottom of stories not because we’re looking to rain on any parades, but because we have an insatiable desire for truth. Right now, our voices are developing and our skills are being honed. We’re journalists in training and, as a student media organization, that’s the way it’s supposed to be. We’re not cheerleaders for our university. We’re bold, risk-taking journalists.

LikeThe State Press on Facebook and follow @statepress on Twitter.

×