Sun Devil track and field ready for MPSF Indoor Championships

The ASU track and field team will head to Seattle this weekend to compete at the MPSF Indoor Championships.

All of the Pac-12 schools will be participating along with a few others including BYU, Hawaii and more.

There will be extra motivation for ASU to do its best, as the Sun Devils will be competing with rival Arizona for two coveted Territorial Cup points this weekend. Both the men and women’s teams have a chance to gain a point for ASU, which currently leads Arizona 4.5-3.5.

On Friday for the field squad will be freshman Maggie Ewen, junior Ginger Jarchow, sophomore Ashley Weber and senior Jessika Byrd at 1 p.m. (all times MT) in the women’s weight throw. Next up will be the women’s pole vault at 3 p.m. which freshman Haleigh Fritts and junior Nicole Kennedy will be taking part in.

The track events begin at 5:45 p.m. with senior Cameron Taylor in the preliminary rounds of the men’s 60-meter hurdles.

At 6:15 p.m. the meet really begins to take off with the men’s 60 dash preliminaries, women’s long jump, men’s long jump and men’s weight throw.

Senior Devan Spann, junior Ben Trotter and senior Kyle Middlebrooks will be in the men’s 60 dash prelims.

Freshman Darreyl Woodson and sophomore Keyasia Tibbs will be competing in the women’s long jump while senior Bryan McBride, junior Josh Dixon, senior Edmond Baker and Trotter are scheduled to start in the men’s long jump.

The men’s weight throw will consist of senior Ryan Leslie, senior Kyle Lillie and sophomore Kyle Long.

The final field event of the day will be the men’s pole vault at 6:30 p.m. featuring sophomore Dillon Groener, senior Josiah Becker and junior Tanner Greeley. Greeley is coming off a personal-best last weekend where he cleared a height of 5.05 (16-6.75 ft.), which put him in a tie for No. 10 in school history.

The track events carry late into Friday afternoon with sophomore CJ Albertson and junior Ryan Herson running the men’s 5000 at 7 p.m. Just after that comes senior Brianna Tate in the women’s 200 dash at 7:20 p.m. and Spann in the men’s 200 dash at 7:45 p.m.

The last events on Friday are the men and women’s distance medley relays. The women’s DMR takes place first at 8:10 p.m. with freshman Melese Crozier, senior Shelby Houlihan, junior Cristina Juan Torres, senior Paisley Pettway, senior Payton Schutte and junior Kiera Bulluck. Competing for the men at 8:25 p.m. are sophomore Cody Brazeal and juniors Michael Julian, Sterling Winston, Trevor Landry and Daniel Wong.

The action begins early on Saturday with Ewen, senior Alex Hartig and Weber in the women’s shot put at 11:30 a.m. Tibbs and Woodson follow them up at noon in the women’s triple jump.

The next six events take place on the track starting with Brazeal in the men’s mile at 12:15 p.m. and Taylor in the men’s 60 hurdles finals at 12:35 p.m.

Following them are Bulluck, Crozier, senior Sara McDonald and Tate in women’s 400 dash at 12:40 p.m. and junior Cody Moore and Winston in the men’s 400 dash.

Spann, Trotter and Middlebrooks are back on Saturday to compete in the finals for the men’s 60 dash at 1:30 p.m. before Pettway and Houlihan are set to start in the women’s 800 dash at 1:40 p.m.

Heading back to the field at 1:45 p.m. is the men’s high jump. Baker and high jump national champion McBride will be taking the jumps for the Sun Devils. Also at 1:45 p.m., sophomore Thomas Anderson, junior Ahmed Hassan, Lillie and Long will be throwing in the men's shot put.

At 2 p.m. is the final field event of the day, the men’s triple jump featuring McBride and Dixon. At the same time on the track, Julian and Landry are scheduled for the men’s 800.

The men and women’s 3000 runs are next with the women’s coming first at 2:20 p.m. sophomore Chelsey Totten, senior Shaina Corbin, Schutte and Torres will be running for ASU in the women’s portion. At 2:45, Albertson, Herson and Wong will be running in the men’s.

The last two events are the 4x400 relays with Bulluck, Crozier, sophomore LaTroya Franklin, McDonald and Tate competing for the women at 3:25 p.m. The men’s 4x400 team of Julian, Moore, Spann, Winston and Landry will be set to start at 3:40 p.m.

Results for the event will be available live on gohuskies.com and ASU updates will be provided on Twitter by the official track and field account, @SunDevilTFXC.

Reach the reporter at tjwilkin@asu.edu or follow @Twilkins23 on Twitter.

×