Remember when Myspace was the perfect soap opera of your life?

Throwbacks and Comebacks

Remember MySpace's top eight? It was the Holy Grail of who was “in” and who was told “auf wiedersehen.” The status it entailed determined whether you wore pink on Wednesday or sat at the cold-cut artist table.

Remember feeling like a Judas after somebody took you off his or her top eight? It was social suicide. The ranking burdened middle school minds with turmoil and trouble.

The more recent relationship status determinant is being Facebook Official or FBO. The main options for a relationship status on Facebook are “single," “in a relationship," “engaged," “married” and “in a civil union.”

There are also some unorthodox options like “in an open relationship” (as if that should be broadcasted), “it’s complicated” (hello middle schoolers), “separated” (sorry you are going through a tough time), “divorced” (we saw that coming from previous updates) and “widowed” (OK, we just met, but I am sorry).

(Photo courtesy of Facebook) (Photo courtesy of Facebook)

When it comes to Facebook relationships, chances are you have asked someone when they are going to make it “FBO” with their significant other. We rely on our social media feed to keep us updated on other people’s lives because it easier than picking up the phone and just asking them.

We are all guilty of it. Just the other week I realized I hadn’t seen any pictures on social media of an old friend and her long-time boyfriend. This was the kind of couple that had lavishly paraded their fairytale relationship in the past. I found myself strangely looking forward to their social media updates. It tore me up a little thinking that maybe something bad happened.

I saw her out one night and gave her concerned puppy dog eyes, asking if everything was OK without trying to pry. She seemed completely normal, and it's probably because next week, the lovely couple's pearly whites were back on my timeline. All was good in the world. She must have thought my sympathetic look came from the passing of a bad smell.

Did you ever question why we give so much authority to photographs and HTML code? It is hard to determine the reason behind the social media reign, but it is somewhat troubling how easily these websites and apps can warp us into believing certain social standards.

(Photo courtesy of Myspace) (Photo courtesy of Myspace)

For the Millennial generation, it is difficult to imagine a world without these borderline intrusive comments and likes. Although the MySpace era has come to an end, the rule of Facebook is strong.

Social media has many other redeeming qualities. Where else would I find viral videos of a baby animals being so uncontrollably adorable that my mom posted on her timeline?

If I hadn't gone on Facebook for two consecutive days, I may have never learned about the "blue and black" dress fiasco. But when it comes to relationship statuses, sometimes scrolling through your Facebook feed is more nosy than Pinocchio.

Reach the reporter at randrew3@asu.edu or follow @rachelandrewss on Twitter.

×