Rivard and Norris brothers lead ASU hockey to 6-1 victory eliminating Colorado

Senior forward Liam Norris skates with the puck in a game against Arizona on Saturday, Jan. 31, 2015, at Oceanside Ice Arena in Tempe. The Sun Devils defeated the Wildcats 7-2. (Ben Moffat/The State Press) Senior forward Liam Norris skates with the puck in a game against Arizona on Saturday, Jan. 31, 2015, at Oceanside Ice Arena in Tempe. The Sun Devils defeated the Wildcats 7-2. (Ben Moffat/The State Press)

STRONGSVILLE, Ohio – Early this week many thought ASU hockey season was going to end quickly after hearing superstar sophomore goalie Robert Levin would not play at the ACHA tournament.

Sophomore left wing Eric Rivard and sophomore and senior forwards David and Liam Norris reminded everyone that the Sun Devils came to Cleveland for a repeat and that hasn't changed, leading the team to a 6-1 victory over WCHL rival No. 16 Colorado.

“We've got one game down and three more.” Rivard said. “It was good. The boys played well, both off the Norris are just really good players.”

The game started out fairly slow as No. 1 ASU went into the second period with only 2-1 lead, but showed again that they are third period team. The Sun Devils took the 4-1 lead just one minute into the final period with back-to-back goals from David Norris and Rivard.

Friday was all about season highs.

Rivard racked up four goals, more than he has in any other game this season, all of which were assisted by David Norris. The Norris brothers both finished with a goal and combined for eight assists.

Rivard and the Norris brothers' synergy all started back in January when sophomore forward Sean Murphy left for the University World Games in Spain and Rivard was paired with the Norris brothers. They were in a similar situation last time then when they last played Colorado. Six of their teammates had left for Spain and they really stepped up their game, not losing once.

Sophomore goalie Lucas Felbel found out earlier that day he would be starting against Colorado, but he has been preparing all season just like the rest of the team.

“I've been preparing for this all year and was waiting to see what Colorado was going to throw at me,” Felbel said.

It was hard to know what to expect from Felbel given that he's only played 129:46 compared to Levin's 1916:25, but he had a very impressive performance tonight and can be expected in Sunday's game.

“He made some big saves and kept us in the game,” ASU coach Greg Powers said. He looked solid, he was confident, he's rebound control was good – Very happy with his play.”

Not only were goals being made tonight but the Sun Devils had some strong saves. With Levin out, the team needs to avoid penalties and giving opponents that man advantage.

The Sun Devils were sent to the box three times tonight, one of which cost them a goal. Half way through the second period, freshman defensemen Edward McGovern was sent to the box for interference and Colorado right wing Kirk Van Arkel put the Buffaloes on the board with a goal off the assist from defensemen Mick Bruce.

All in all, it was a strong performance from the Sun Devils who will advance to quarterfinals to play the winner of the No. 8 Adrian and No. 9 Lindenwood game. That is set for Saturday night.

ASU has the day off on Saturday and returns to the ice Sunday at 4 p.m EST.

Three Stars

stars-01

First Star: Eric Rivard, ASU ( four goals, one assist)

stars-02

Second Star: Liam and David Norris, ASU ( one goal, four assists each)

stars-03

Third Star: Lucas Felbel, ASU (1 GA, second full game all season)

Additional Notes

• Lucas Felbel is expected to start in ASU's next game Sunday
  • Eric Rivard has had four games this season with three or more goals.
Reach the reporter at kewens@asu.edu or follow @katlynewens on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook or follow @statepresssport on Twitter.

×