Pop Culture Mischief: new Beyoncé, Edward Snowden meets John Oliver and more

It can be hard to keep up with everything going on in pop culture. Join reporter Zackary Moran-Norris each week for a round-up of some of the largest stories of the week so your references can always stay relevant.

ENTER MUS-GRAMMYS 204 LA
Beyonce ft. Jay Z wins Best R&B Performance at the 57th Annual Grammy Awards at Staples Center in Los Angeles on Sunday, Feb. 8, 2015. (Robert Gauthier/Los Angeles Times/TNS)

Beyoncé’s new song

Beyoncé has done it again. In celebration of her wedding anniversary with rapper Jay Z, the pop mega-star surprised fans with new material and this time, it’s a simple music video for a heartfelt ballad titled “Die With You." The music video, released on new music streaming service called Tidal, features Queen B serenading her husband while playing the piano in casual attire. Jay Z also owns Tidal and revealed himself at the end of the video as the one operating the handheld camera. The co-owners of Tidal include Kanye West, Rihanna, Madonna, Daft Punk, Usher and more.

John Oliver interviews Edward Snowden

The “Last Week Tonight with John Oliver’” audience roared in delight when the host announced he flew to Russia to conduct an interview with Edward Snowden, the now infamous leaker of classified NSA documents. Snowden arrived late to the interview, but appeared calm and collected as Oliver grilled the mysterious figure with a healthy mix of comedy and contention. Oliver’s lampoonery was generally met with Snowden’s practical explanations of the NSA’s practices that can potentially violate American’s privacy. Oliver’s objective was to interpret Snowden’s reasoning so that it was comprehensible to the average American and for the most part, he succeeded in doing so.

"Furious 7" breaks box office records

The highly anticipated “Furious 7” raced to a staggering $143.6 million in its opening weekend, leaving expectations in the dust. The seventh installment of the action franchise shattered box office records after being released in over 14,000 theaters worldwide. Not only was it the ninth-largest opening weekend draw of all time, it was also the biggest April opening in history, easily beating previous record-holder “Captain America: The Winter Soldier." Originally set for a summer 2014 release, Universal Pictures was forced to reconstruct the film due to Paul Walker’s death in 2013.

Michael Keaton hosts "SNL"

Michael Keaton did not disappoint when he returned to host Saturday Night Live for his third time. After a NCAA-themed cold open, Keaton began his monologue by reminiscing about the first time he hosted the show in 1982. It didn’t take long before SNL cast members Taran Killam and Bobby Moynihan intervened, begging Keaton to reprise his roles in his films “Beetlejuice” and “Batman."

Once his tribute monologue concluded, Keaton appeared in various skits playing odd and even a few perverse characters. From his role of a professor going on a date with a male student to playing a creepy Easter enthusiast, Keaton did not refrain from showing his comedic chops.

Reach the reporter at zmoranno@asu.edu or follow @thezackarymoran on Twitter.

×