Netflix Alternatives: Super hero mania

"Avengers: Age of Ultron" is taking over movie theaters this week. Here's some other super hero flicks to quench your thirst if the Avengers don't strike your fancy.

Photo courtesy of Marvel Studios.
Photo courtesy of Marvel Studios.

Imagine this: Friday rolls around, and you decide you want to go to the movies. There’s only one problem. You look up the week’s new releases, and none of them strike your fancy. Feeling disappointed, you open Netflix and scroll endlessly trying to find something that grabs your attention.

Each week, reporter Shane Weinstein takes a look at what major motion pictures are hitting theaters and offers suggestions of alternate films to take in on Netflix. Here are his alternatives for the week of May 1, 2015.

This week, summer movie season kicks into full swing with the release of Marvel’s “Avengers: Age of Ultron.” The only major release this week, Ultron is sure to be a massive success, with audiences flocking to theaters this weekend to see the latest installment of Marvel’s cinematic saga. However, if you don’t feel like braving the crowds and fighting for a spot in the theater, here are some solid alternatives you can watch on your couch at home this weekend.

“The Avengers: Earth’s Mightiest Heroes” (2010-12, featuring the voices of Eric Loomis, Wally Wingert and more)

Instead of watching Marvel's Mightiest Heroes in theaters this weekend, check out this incredibly underrated animated series on Netflix. Loomis plays Tony Stark in this interesting take on the characters moviegoers have grown familiar with throughout the years. Based on the comic books and not the Marvel Cinematic Universe, the series features exceptionally exciting story lines for an animated show and is sure to entertain both adults and kids alike.

“Wolverine and the X-Men” (2009, featuring the voices of Steve Blum and Jim Ward)

Another outstanding animated series featuring Marvel characters, “Wolverine and the X-Men” serves as an enjoyable way to spend time with characters you care for without hitting the theater. Blum’s voice work as Wolverine is exceptional and the series’ first episodes (a three-part epic) is one of the finest bits of work I’ve ever seen on a superhero show.

“Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.” (2013, starring Clark Gregg, Chloe Bennet and Ming-Na Wen)

Marvel’s first foray into television, “Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.” starts a bit slow, but is not to be missed by die-hard Marvel fans. The series features an eclectic cast of characters and manages to continue to expand the world established in the movies in a fascinating way. Gregg’s Agent Coulson, a fan favorite until his untimely death in the first “Avengers” film, is back and better than ever as the leader of the pack. While it may not be for everyone, the show is certainly worth a watch if the expanding of Marvel’s Cinematic Universe interests you in any way.

Contact this reporter at seweinst@asu.edu or on Twitter @S_Weinstein95.

×