ASU baseball wins 4-1 behind Jordan Aboites' stellar first start

The junior right-hander set a new career high with 11 strikeouts in his first career start

ASU v ACU Aboites
Junior Jordan Aboites records eleven strikeouts in 6.1 innings pitched in win against Abilene Christian at Phoenix Municipal Stadium Tuesday May 19, 2015. The Sun Devils defeated the Wildcats 4-1. (Jacob Stanek/The State Press)

Standing just 5-foot-6 and 140 pounds on the mound, he's not the most intimidating presence. 

But ASU baseball junior right-hander Jordan Aboites let his pitching do the work Tuesday evening.

Aboites was excellent in his first career start, striking out a career-high 11 batters in the No. 12 Sun Devils' 4-1 victory over Abilene Christian in its Phoenix Muni season finale.

Aboites threw 6.1 innings for the Sun Devils (33-19, 17-10 Pac-12), giving up just a run on five hits and walking one while striking out 11 on 92 pitches in their final home game of the season against the Wildcats (15-37, 13-17 Southland).

Heading into his first start, Aboites had just 13 strikeouts on the season. He had 11 on Tuesday alone, dropping his season ERA from 6.75 to 5.47.

After giving up two baserunners in the opening frame, Aboites was locked in. 

"After the first inning, the little bit of nerves I did have I loose and got them out," Aboites said. "I think the first inning was probably my worst one, to be honest, and after that I just took a deep breath in the dugout when I got in and just calmed down a little bit and told myself I was going to hit my spots and throw to the best of my ability."

For Aboites, starting the game was a throwback to his high school days at Mayfair High School in Long Beach, Calif.

"This is definitely my best performance in college," Aboites said. "I don't think I've ever thrown that many innings in college either. It was kind of like throwing it back to high school, really comfortable, not really nervous at all. It was like coming back home with starting because the first time I relieved was when I came (to ASU)."

Aboites called his outing a "breakout" performance, especially given his recent struggles.

ASU head coach Tracy Smith went with Aboites for Tuesday's start after recent struggles from mid-week starter Ryan Hingst.

"Our mid-week stuff has been so-so, and it was putting out someone who is ready to compete," Smith said. "It was, 'Let's show up to the yard and get ready to play,' and then next thing you know, first inning we've walked two or three guys and it just takes your level, turns it down."

Smith said Aboites' key on Tuesday night came with his location and placement of his breaking ball when behind in the count.

"If you pitch that way, and you're able to throw your breaking stuff behind in the count, you can do it against anybody," he said.

With the outing, ASU's starting pitching has given up just four earned runs in their last 27.1 innings of work between junior left-handers Ryan Kellogg and Brett Lilek, along with sophomore right-hander Seth Martinez. 

In that time, ASU also struck out a whopping 39 batters.

"We've got two of the best starters in the country (in Kellogg and Lilek), can beat anybody, and we've got a closer who can be an All-American caliber closer in the end," Smith said. "I'll take getting hot at the right time, because that's what it's all about."

After nearly spoiling its final game at Packard Stadium to Abilene Christian in 2014, the Sun Devils made sure no such thing would happen Tuesday.

ASU jumped out to an early lead, scoring three runs in the second inning to support Aboites' effort.

Sophomore designated hitter Brian Serven singled to open the inning, followed by a hard-hit double into the left-center field gap from sophomore shortstop Colby Woodmansee. Redshirt senior outfielder Trever Allen drove Serven home with an RBI single up the middle, giving ASU a 1-0 lead.

Sophomore catcher Zach Cerbo followed up the single with an RBI double to right to score Woodmansee. Allen would score during the same play on a fielding error at second base, extending the early lead to 3-0.

ASU tacked on an insurance run in the sixth inning after senior first baseman Joey Bielek hit a sacrifice fly to center field that scored Woodmansee to make it 4-0.

Abilene Christian redshirt senior right-hander Thomas Altimont put together a solid performance Tuesday night, giving up four runs (two earned) on eight hits over six innings with four strikeouts and one walk. He threw 85 pitches.

Abilene Christian got on the board in the top of the seventh, as senior outfielder Jordan Forrester grounded out to second base to score sophomore outfielder Taylor Waters to make it 4-1.

After removing Aboites, Smith elected to test out his young bullpen in matchup situations.

Smith went through freshman left-hander Tucker Baca, junior right-hander Eric Melbostad, freshman left-hander Eli Lingos and junior right-hander David Graybill.

Graybill stayed on for the final 1.1 innings, picking up his first career save.

ASU travels to USC for their final regular season series from Friday to Sunday in what could potentially decide second place in the Pac-12.

The NCAA regional host sites are expected to be released at 5:30 p.m. on Sunday, May 24. The rest of the regional field is expected to be announced Monday.

Smith said that even Phoenix Muni attendance would help ASU's regional hosting chances.

"College baseball is making a big push to grow and expand, that our attendance would factor in," he said. "I know it's all about what you do on the field, but it's also about the whole product.

Smith made his case clear for ASU to serve as a regional host if they "take care of business" against USC.

"I'm not going to come out here and say that we 100 percent deserve it, but I would think we would be in serious discussions," Smith said. "I think that if you discuss it enough, you could make a compelling argument that we should. If we take care of business. If we don't take care of business, it's a moot point."

Reach the reporter at fardaya@asu.edu or follow @fardaya15 on Twitter.

×