ASU Men's Basketball: Sun Devils sign deal to play vaunted Kentucky Wildcats

The teams will play in Rupp Arena this December then meet again in the Bahamas in 2016.

Bobby Hurley press conference
Michael Crow and Ray Anderson applaud as they welcome Bobby Hurley as ASU's new men's basketball coach on April 10, 2015.

ASU and Kentucky are close to signing a deal Tuesday that would put in place a multiyear series starting on Dec. 12 in Rupp Arena in Lexington.

The second game will be played in 2016 in the Bahamas at the site of the Battle 4 Atlantis Tournament that is played each November.

Kentucky, the No. 1 team in the country for most of last season, lost to Wisconsin in the Final Four after compiling a 38-0 record heading into the game with the Badgers.

Led by John Calipari, the Wildcats will lose many of the key players from that 38-1 team to the NBA this offseason but still figure to be one of the nation's elite teams.

The Sun Devils are coming off an 18-16 season and recently hired head coach Bobby Hurley, who has immediately injected life into the organization.

Matt Jones of Kentucky Sports Radio first reported that the teams were discussing a series and Jon Rothstein of CBS Sports was the first to indicate that the deal was close to being finalized.

Reach the assistant sports editor at icbeck@asu.edu or follow @ICBeck21 on Twitter.

×