Tempe Police: Man points gun at person's head after argument over television channel

Police Beat Photo

Tempe Police Headquarters

Tempe Police reported the following incidents Monday:

A 65-year-old Tempe man was arrested May 29 on the intersection of South College Avenue and East Paseo Way on suspicion of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, according to a police report.

The man and the reported victim were at a bar where they got in a verbal altercation over the television channel, police reported. The reported victim left the area after the argument and went home, police reported.

Later the reported victim saw the man because they both live in the same area and tried to discuss what had occurred at the bar earlier, according to the report.

The man swore at the reported victim who was sitting on his bicycle in an unthreatening manner five to seven feet away from the man, according to the report.

The man then pulled a dark-colored Kel-tec P32 .32 mm handgun out of his waistband and pointed it at the reported victim, police reported. Upon seeing the gun the reported victim told the man to calm down and tried to talk to him whereupon the man pointed the gun at the other man’s head, according to the report.

The reported victim said that he believed the handgun was loaded at the time of the incident and feared for his life, police reported.

The man eventually lowered the gun after he was talked down and the reported victim asked why the man would point the gun at his head for nothing, according to the report.

The man got angry again and another verbal altercation occurred, the man then said he was calling 911 as he held the gun to the reported victims face, police reported.

The reported victim called passing people for help who witnessed the man pointing the gun at the other unarmed man’s head, according to the report. The reported victim then called his friend in the neighborhood who arrived when she got out of her vehicle unarmed, according to the report.

The man waved his handgun toward her even though she didn’t verbally engage him, according to the report. Only after police arrived did the man comply and put down his gun, police reported.

The gun was found to have 5 live ammunition rounds loaded in the magazine and the man said he pointed the gun at the reported victim because he was larger in size, according to the report.

The man was transported to Tempe City Jail, where he was booked and held to see a judge, police reported.

Report compiled by Megan Janetsky.

Reach the reporter at megan.janetsky@asu.edu or follow @meganjanetsky on Twitter.

×