Tempe Police: Drunk driver uses twin brother’s name to avoid records check

Police Beat Photo

Tempe Police Headquarters

Tempe Police reported the following incident Wednesday:

A 28-year-old Tempe man was arrested July 10 on the 60 block of East Southern Avenue on suspicion of an aggravated DUI and reporting false information to police, according to a police report.

After responding to an accident call, officers arrived at the location where witnesses stated that they had seen a White Altima collide with another vehicle, police reported.

When police approached the Nissan Altima driver, they noticed the man smelled of a strong odor of an intoxicating beverage, according to the report.

The officers administered a Field Sobriety Test, which the man failed, and noted that his eyes were also bloodshot, police reported.

While collecting information from the man’s Virginia ID card, officers found that the man had previously given a false name, which the man later identified as his twin brother’s, according to the report.

During a routine records check, officials discovered that the man’s ID had been revoked in Virginia due to a previous DUI charge, police reported.

The man had also used a false date of birth, which was over a year off from his actual birth date, according to the report.

Once the man entered the Tempe Police Department, police submitted him to multiple breathalyzer tests, police reported.

After submitting to testing, the man blew a BAC of .207 as well as a .182 approximately a half hour later, according to the report.

The man was booked into Tempe City Jail and held to see a judge, police reported.

Reach the reporter at aplante@asu.edu or follow her on Twitter @aimeenplante

×