Tempe Police: Man assaults victims with metal pole for masturbating to his photo

Tempe Police Headquarters (Photo illustration by Emily Johnson/The State Press)

Tempe police reported the following incidents Tuesday:

A 31-year-old  man was arrested July 18 on the 200 block of West Vaughn Street in Tempe for two counts of aggravated assault, according to a police report.

Police responded to a deadly weapon call and located the man standing on the sidewalk waving a five foot metal pipe in the air, police reported.

The man was asked to drop the pipe and sit on the curb, and an investigation revealed that he had used to metal pipe to strike two victims multiple times, according to the report.

One of the victims retained multiple injuries including a laceration to the head and was transported to a hospital, and the other victim had only minor injuries, police reported. 

The man stated that his reason for assaulting the victims was because they were in possession of a photo of him that they were masturbating to, according to the report.

The man further stated that he was hearing voices, but was unable to explain in more detail, police said.

The man was placed under arrest and transported to Tempe City Jail where he was booked and held to see a judge, according to the report.

A 21-year-old Phoenix man was arrested July 16 for aggravated robbery, theft of a credit card, two counts of fraudulent use of a credit card and one count of armed robbery, according to a police report.

An armed robbery in which two suspects stole a victim’s wallet and cell phone while one suspect pointed a gun at the victim’s head took place on June 27, and was under investigation by police, according to the report.

The victim later reported to police that the stolen credit card had been used at two Fry’s Grocery Store locations in Tempe and Phoenix, police said.

Security footage from both store locations revealed the same man using the credit card both times, and he was identified by a Fry’s loss prevention manager as a former employee who had been terminated a year earlier for fraudulent use of a credit card, according to the report.

The man was later located by Tempe police and placed under arrest.

Reports compiled by Isabella Castillo

Reach the reporter at icastil3@asu.edu or follow @isabella_m_cast on twitter 

Like The State Press on Facebook and follow @statepress on Twitter

×