3OH!3 and Metric welcome freshmen and returning students at Wells Fargo Arena

Many Sun Devils packed Wells Fargo Arena and left with middle school nostalgia and readiness for the academic year to begin.

Sean Foreman of 3OH!3 performs during ASU's Fall Welcome Concert on Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2015, at Wells Fargo Arena in Tempe.

The Wells Fargo Arena's roof was raised at ASU's Fall Welcome Concert Tuesday night where an eclectic mix of artists including DJ Munition, Metric and 3OH!3 performed for incoming freshmen, returning Sun Devils and even graduate students.  

DJ Munition, also known as ASU student Tyler Sherman, opened up the night with beats to pump up the hungry crowd.  He played notable summer songs with memorable lyrics to get students dancing. 

The next act took concertgoers back a few years. Famous pop duo 3OH!3 performed its once well-known songs such as "Don't Trust Me" and "My First Kiss."

"Don't Trust Me" was the song that stood out.  The advice to not trust a "hoe" still holds its value, as seen by the reaction of the crowd as they sang along. 

"It was gardening advice, but people took it differently," 3OH!3 member Sean Foreman said. "I think that the song still has a reflexive purpose. When someone doesn't trust you, it's hard to trust them."

Nathaniel Motte, the other half of the duo, followed this up by saying the song was written for fun. 

"We do a lot of remixes at our shows," Foreman said. "We always try to make the live show a different experience." 

Such remixes included "Dark Horse" by Katy Perry and "Burn" by Ellie Goulding. 

3OH!3 got its start in Colorado, and the duo said that ASU is much bigger than University of Colorado in Boulder, where they attended school. 

"We started our band in college so it's a nice full circle," Foreman said. 

Although 3OH!3 hoped to see Sparky in the crowd, it found hundreds of freshmen instead, each with just as much excitement and spirit as the mascot. 

Between sets, students took time to have some fun and dance not against, but rather with each other in "battles."

Metric, a Toronto band that has created independent music for 15 years, ended the night with a set full of bright lights and dancing. The group's alternative touch created an exciting atmosphere that offered something for everyone present. 

Lead singer Emily Haines hyped up the audience with her voice and moves, and included some inspiring advice.

"Stay true to who you are even when it is not the easiest thing you can do," Haines said. "Only you know what you are and what you're capable of."

Food and nutrition management freshman Austin Jones showed up to the fun by himself with a goal of meeting other students.

"I came because I wanted to meet some people and get to know the school a little bit," Jones said. "Concerts are a lot of fun. I always enjoy them. I know a little bit of Metric, but I've never heard of 3OH!3."

Not only were freshmen invited to the event but upperclassmen as well. Sustainability graduate student Erin Pulford said she made the trip to see Metric. 

"I don't even know 3OH!3," Pulford said. "Metric hasn't released a new album since 2012. Hopefully there is something new. It's interesting they are doing a concert when they haven't had any recent new stuff. I think it was pretty cool that ASU had a free concert. I'm always up for free stuff."

Mac Miller and Caked Up set the stage for a great year

ASU Welcome Week gives freshmen, students first look at University

Reach the reporter at ryan.santistevan@asu.edu or follow @ryanerica18 on Twitter.

×