ASU football opens Camp Tontozona strong despite weather concerns

ASU was forced to practice at nearby Rumsey Park instead of at Camp Tontozona due to rain

Todd Graham Camp T
Head Coach Todd Graham gives instructions during Camp Tontozona practice Wednesday August 12, 2015 at Rumsey Park in Payson, Arizona. (Jacob Stanek/The State Press)

PAYSON, Ariz. -- For the second straight year, ASU football head coach Todd Graham could blame it on the rain.

Just like last season, the first day of Camp Tontozona was moved to nearby Rumsey Park due to poor playing conditions.

Graham said he came away from Wednesday's practice pleased despite moving facilities and starting practice nearly an hour late.

"It's great to be back up at Camp T, where I think the most important thing that we do is bringing our team together," Graham said. "It's not easy, just so you know. There's not anything luxury about it. It's something that is a rite of passage to be a Sun Devil."

Wednesday marked the first practice outside for the Sun Devils during fall camp, as well as the first practice completely open to the public and media.

Graham noted the humidity during what was a hot late morning practice that continued past noon.

The star of Wednesday's session was sophomore running back Demario Richard, who broke a 98-yard touchdown run in 11-on-11 drills and dominated in red zone sessions.

"The most intense competitor on our team is (senior wide receiver) D.J. Foster," Graham said. "Now you got Demario right up there with him. That's what you want to see."

Much of Wednesday's practice focused on what Graham said was first down and goal from the 1-yard line drills.

Play was physical, with the standout play of the morning coming when sophomore "Spur" linebacker DeAndre Scott halted a scrambling Manny Wilkins, knocking him straight onto his backside.

"Oh wow!" Graham said when recalling the play. "That was nice. You're talking about when he smacked Manny? The smackdown? I like Manny's competitive attitude trying to get it into the end zone. Not many people hit their quarterbacks like that in practice. We do. You can't be tough playing flag (football).

"Dee Scott, we've moved him to 'Spur,'  and he can do some things there to help us in nickel, blitzing off the edge. He's a kid that I'm very proud of. He ain't very big, but he's doing some great things on special teams and situational play. That was a big hit."

Some other notables during that part of the session were a pair of touchdown tosses from redshirt senior quarterback Mike Bercovici to Kody Kohl and Foster. Freshman Nick Ralston excelled in short-yardage situations, scoring during the drills. Freshman Jason Lewis, who was in pads for the first time, added a score of his own while freshman quarterback Bryce Perkins used his legs to dive in for a score.

Additional Practice Notes:

- "PT42" jerseys: redshirt senior safety Jordan Simone, redshirt senior cornerback Lloyd Carrington and redshirt sophomore safety James Johnson.

- "Flame" helmets: Simone, Carrington, Johnson, junior kicker Zane Gonzalez, redshirt senior linebacker Antonio Longino, redshirt sophomore safety Marcus Ball, sophomore defensive lineman Tashon Smallwood, sophomore running back/linebacker Kalen Ballage, senior wide receiver D.J. Foster, redshirt senior guard Christian Westerman, redshirt senior quarterback Mike Bercovici, redshirt junior tight end Kody Kohl, senior center Nick Kelly, redshirt junior linebacker Laiu Moeakiola, sophomore linebacker DJ Calhoun, senior cornerback Kweishi Brown, sophomore defensive back DeAndre Scott and sophomore safety Armand Perry.

- Green non-contact jerseys: Longino, freshman offensive lineman Dillon Faamatau, junior wide receiver Cam Smith, redshirt junior tight end Dan Vear, redshirt sophomore tight end Grant Martinez, sophomore running back Jacom Brimhall and redshirt junior wide receiver Fred Gammage.

- Limited: Moeakiola and freshman wide receiver Terrell Chatman.

- Redshirt junior defensive lineman Edmond Boateng went down with what looked to be a right elbow stinger early on in practice, but would later return.

- ASU vice president of University athletics and athletic director Ray Anderson was at the first Camp Tontozona practice Wednesday.

- Here are some depth chart notables based off of the team's 11-on-11 sessions.

• Among those receiving first-team snaps at wide receiver were: Foster, redshirt senior Gary Chambers, redshirt senior Devin Lucien, redshirt junior De'Chavon Hayes and redshirt junior Tim White.
  • As has been the case in the last few days of practice, Perry took first-team reps at field safety, while Johnson mostly got looks with the second string.
  • With Moeakiola limited, Ball stepped into the first-team "Spur" linebacker role. He was solid, nearly landing a sack safety during two-minute drills and later recovering a fumble.
  • Kalen Ballage went strictly offense for the second straight day, including breaking a long touchdown run in 11-on-11 play.
  • Freshman Jay Jay Wilson worked with the linebackers at the "Devilbacker" spot for the second straight day. He is currently listed as a tight end.
  • Freshman Brady White took some snaps at second-team quarterback.
  • For the most part, ASU's first-team defense did not feature a "Devilbacker," instead opting for a set with four down lineman. Freshman JoJo Wicker took over much of the pass-rushing duties with the first team.

Reach the reporter at fardaya@asu.edu or follow @fardaya15 on Twitter.

×