Tempe Police: Man Punches hole in wall claiming he is "Muhammed Ali"

Police Beat Photo

Tempe Police Headquarters

Tempe police reported the following incidents Sunday:

A 28-year-old Tempe man was arrested July 18 on the 1500 block of Price Road on suspicion of disorderly conduct, threats, criminal damage, trespassing, false reporting to law enforcement and two outstanding Tempe City warrants, according to a police report.

The man forced his way passed two victims with whom he was familiar into an apartment where he was trying to find money to buy himself beer and cigarettes, police said.

The victim who owns the apartment denied the man money, to which the man responded by punching a hole in the drywall, causing approximately $100 in damage, according to the report.

The victims said that the man told them shouted racial slurs after them, among other threats, if they were to call the cops, police said.

The victims said that the man often comes looking for money to buy beer and cigarettes, but is not usually violent, according to the report.

The victims believed the man was very intoxicated and unusually aggressive at the time, police reported.

Fearing that the man might come back to the apartment to kill him, the victim owning the apartment called law enforcement, according to the report.

The man was not located immediately, but was later discovered wandering around the area of the apartment, police said.

Upon contact, the man told police his name was “Muhammad Ali,” but his ID revealed his true identity and his record revealed two outstanding warrants, according to the report.

The man is currently on supervised probation for a robbery charge, according to the report. 

A 34-year-old Tempe man was arrested July 18 on the 800 block of Scottsdale Road on suspicion of third-degree burglary, aggravated assault on a healthcare worker, felony criminal damage, threatening and intimidating, disorderly conduct, possession of a prescription-only drug and an outstanding warrant, according to a police report.

The man entered an urgent care facility as the staff was closing, having left the door unlocked as they took out the trash, police said.

A physician asked the man who was never a patient at the facility to leave, telling him that the business was closed for the day, but the man refused and demanded that the physician call him a cab, according to the report.

The physician attempted to escort the man out, and the man responded by trying to punch him in the face, swinging his arms wildly, police reported

In fear of bodily harm, the physician retreated and moved a cart between him and the man, who slammed it aside, breaking a $20,000 EKG machine, according to the report.

A second employee arrived at the scene to find the man still swinging his arms and yelling “Do you know who I am? I am going to kill you!” repeatedly, police said.

Law enforcement arrived soon after and contacted the man, to which he responded saying he “hates all nurses,” according to the report.

A search revealed that the man was in possession of prescription-only doxycycline pills without a valid prescription, and he was booked on his charges and held to see a judge, police reported.

Reports compiled by Isabella Castillo

Reach the reporter at icastil3@asu.edu or follow @isabella_m_cast on twitter 

Like The State Press on Facebook and follow @statepress on Twitter

×