There are thousands of students that attend ASU, yet only those courageous enough will showcase their talent at The Underground Foundation's free open mic night Friday in Tempe.  

The influential music club is inviting artists, poets and musicians to share their work and musical chops to the community.    

Kirsten Webber, TUF's Chief of Staff and literature sophomore, is in charge of planning community events. She emphasized the communal feature of the event in order to allow performers and artists to feel comfortable enough to perform in front of not only their fellow classmates, but the surrounding community as well.

"These are nice because we have a lot of musicians in our club who don't get a chance to perform because they aren't a part of a full band, so this is their opportunity to express themselves,” Webber said. “We will also have people reading poetry and displaying their art, and it is a very relaxed and open environment.”

Acoustic covers and emotionally charged poems are all the same to this event. No person or group will feel left out as the night offers an open medium to display talent without any restrictions. There is not a time limit either so artists will be given as much time as they need.  

Tempe visitor Clay Adams said he understands and appreciates that non-ASU affiliated people are welcome to join TUF events. He is only residing in the area until January, but sees this as an opportunity to show his talent to anyone who cares to watch. 

"My live set is a very casual style of Australian hip-hop that normally gets the crowd swaying, not so much jumping around, but allowing people to zone out to the music while relating to my lyrics,” Adams said. “I've found my style of hip-hop to translate really well to non hip-hop heads and hip-hop heads alike.”

Intermedia senior Kristen Schneider will not only attend as a TUF officer, but as an artist. She plans on showing a couple images accompanied with a few sculptures. 

"This event will be much more laid back compared to regular shows, and have a more art-emphasized environment," Schneider said. "I think people should come to see art by fellow students as well as to hear and participate with open mic. There will be poets and musicians, and plenty of stage time for those who want to give it a try themselves."

No skill level is required to showcase student and the community's talent alike. If Sun Devils are interested in reading their poems, singing a cover of Justin Bieber's "Baby" or showing off a really attractive doodle drawn in math class, then they may contact TUF by Facebook or sign up Friday night at the show.  

The event will kick off at 7 p.m. at a house located on 221 E. 14th St. 

The Underground Foundation invites all to first show of the semester

The Underground Foundation to shake up ASU with noise rock at its third house show of the semester

Reach the reporter at ryan.santistevan@asu.edu or follow @ryanerica18 on Twitter.

×