ASU football's interior offensive line a formidable force up front

The Sun Devils replace their two tackles but have experience inside

ASU Offensive Line
ASU's offensive line lines up during the last day of Camp Tontozona on Saturday, Aug. 15, 2015, at Camp Tontozona in Payson, Arizona.

The interior of ASU's offensive line throws around a lot of weight. Just how much exactly?

A whopping 910 pounds total.

The three players on the inside of that line – redshirt senior left guard Christian Westerman, senior center Nick Kelly and redshirt senior right guard Vi Teofilo – were starters last season and will represent a physically imposing barrier for Pac-12 defensive lines.

With running back depth in sophomores Demario Richard and Kalen Ballage, they expect several holes to open up through the middle behind the team's "Big Three."

On the outsides, the Sun Devils replace their tackles in Jamil Douglas (who was drafted by the Miami Dolphins in the fourth round) and Tyler Sulka.

Left tackle will be redshirt junior Evan Goodman, who at 6-foot-4 and 310 pounds has drawn rave reviews from quarterback Mike Bercovici for his athletic ability.

"That's a guy who ASU fans are going to hope comes back next year," Bercovici said during Monday's pre-Texas A&M press conference.

Goodman has wrestled the starting job away from redshirt freshman Sam Jones during this fall camp, and could be poised for a breakout season in his first year as a starter.

The right tackle position however, is more of a concern to head coach Todd Graham and coach Chris Thomsen's offensive line.

Slated to start at right tackle is redshirt senior Billy McGehee, who stands at 6-foot-6 and 314 pounds. He's done a solid job at the position during fall camp, but still looks to be the weak link along the front five.

The most likely backup at each position is the ever-versatile Stephon McCray (6-foot-3, 314 pounds), who has been able to plug in at most spots when a starter has gone down during his ASU career.

ASU's offensive line is top-heavy when it comes to depth, however. The two-deep is littered with true freshmen, who were solid during their first fall camp, but are players that most Sun Devil fans hope they will not have to see this season.

Zach Robertson, Quinn Bailey, Steven Miller and Connor Humphreys have ASU's offensive line in good shape in the coming years. Ideally, they won't need to be used too early if the experienced bulk up front can stay healthy.

ASU football position preview: Defensive line

Report: ASU football cornerback Ronald Lewis to transfer

Reach the reporter at fardaya@asu.edu or follow @fardaya15 on Twitter.

×