From heavy metal concerts to storm damage, here are the week's top stories

As you unwind after long study sessions and Labor Day weekend get-togethers, scroll through this week's top stories. Let this list of articles distract you from dwelling on ASU football's disappointing season opener. 

10 famous alumni you didn't know attended ASU

Photo by Emily Johnson | The State Press

Did you know that David Spade and Barry Bonds went to ASU? There are countless famous Sun Devils. Read this list of 10 famous people you may not have known call ASU their alma mater.

Report Card: Breaking down ASU football's 38-17 loss to Texas A&M

Photo by Jojo Huckeba | The State Press

Everything is bigger in Texas and ASU's loss to Texas A&M on Saturday was a big one. Reporter Fabian Ardaya analyzed and graded the overall performance of the team.

Read more: Instant recap: Texas A&M 38, No. 15 ASU 17

Slipknot and Lamb of God cause tribal fire pits to break out during epic performance in Phoenix

Photo by Brett Ridler | Special to The State Press

Thousands of loyal heavy metal heads were treated to quite a concert this week when Slipknot and Lamb of God performed at the Ak-Chin Pavilion. Arts Editor Jacob Goldstein rocked out and wrote about the experience.

ASU, Phoenix area recover from intense monsoon storm

Photo by Ben Moffat | The State Press

It is monsoon season yet again. This week, wind upwards of 40 miles per hour rushed through the Valley leaving behind fallen trees and other property damage throughout the community. The State Press covered the storm and documented the aftermath

#BlackLivesMatter & #AllLivesMatter

Photo by Aaron Lavinsky | Minneapolis Star Tribune/TNS

Many of you expressed your opinions about Lindsay Roberts' opinion column “#AllLivesMatter, not just #BlackLivesMatter" on social media. This column compelled another State Press columnist, Noelle Lilley, to respond with a counterpoint column, "Don't tell me not to say #BlackLivesMatter." Give both of these columns a look.

Oceanside renovations look to make ice arena best possible temporary home for ASU hockey

Photo by Jacob Stanek | The State Press

This arena has seen many Sun Devil Hockey victories. As the program transitions into Division I, their home is changing as well. Reporter Justin Toscano was there to catch a glimpse at Sun Devil Hockey’s newly renovated arena. 

Articles we think you'll love:

Sociology student finds his passion, headlines independent hip-hop tour

Photo by Aaron Trujillo | Courtesy photo

Sociology major Eddie Wellz has always had a passion for rap and hip-hop. Wellz has used his deep passion and aspiration to turn that dream into a reality.

An 'Octopus' is being used at ASU's Project Space to start discussion on Guatemalan immigration

Photo by ASU Art Museum | Courtesy photo

Artist and filmmaker Yoshua Okón recently created a film detailing the Guatemalan Civil War and is showing it in the downtown ASU art gallery, Project Space, until October 3. Reporter Logan Saether spoke with Okón about his film and how art can be used to tell stories.

An Olympian among Sun Devils

Photo by Lindsay Hahn | The State Press

ASU swim has found a new assistant swim coach, Arizona native and former Olympian Misty Hyman. State Press Magazine reporter Lindsay Hahn spoke with Hyman about her new position and her competitive swimming career.

Reach the reporter at anicla@asu.edu or follow @AndrewNiclaASU on Twitter

×