'Lean On' hitmakers Major Lazer, Dillon Francis and more DJ talent to perform Friday at Mad Decent Block Party

Mad Decent

DJ Snake (center) with Major Lazer.

Back in 2008, Mad Decent Block Party began as just a small neighborhood event with a few tents and some rented speakers in the outskirts of Philly. Today, it is one of the most popular and intense electronic dance music festivals in North America. 

Thousands of fans are expected to gather at Rawhide Event Center in Chandler Friday for the party of a lifetime. Before you go turn up, check out the superstar headliners who are going to seriously bring the bass.

Dillon Francis

This Los-Angeles-based DJ and producer is known to many as dance music’s resident comedian and prankster. His biggest hit has undoubtedly been “Get Low” featuring DJ Snake, which was featured on his debut LP last year. 

Just last month he dropped a new EP, appropriately titled “This Mixtape Is Fire.” The list of collaborators on this includes Calvin Harris, Skrillex, Kygo and Chromeo, which is enough to leave third-degree burns at least.

Major Lazer

The group was launched by American DJ and producer Diplo in 2008 as a reggae/dancehall project based on a fictional character, Major Lazer. After years of being cast to the side of dance music, this group completely dominated the summer charts with its smooth club anthem “Lean On” featuring DJ Snake and singer MØ. The group's 2015 album "Peace Is The Mission" features this massive summer hit, as well as some of the biggest artists of today like Ariana Grande, Ellie Goulding and 2 Chainz.

Oliver Heldens

New "press pics" on the way! #MrSmoothBoy #ImBlueDaboodeedaboodieboodaboodeeedaboodiedaboodeedaboodie

A photo posted by Oliver Heldens (@oliverheldens) on

Heldens first claimed the spotlight with his 2013 single “Gecko,” which was eventually released on DJ Tiesto’s Musical Freedom label. That same year, the Dutch producer remixed Martin Garrix’s mega-hit “Animals,” and released two singles “Stinger” and “Thumper” for the popular EDM label Spinnin’ Records. 

Heldens has previously headlined at some of the largest EDM festivals in the world including Tomorrowland in Belgium and Creamfield in the U.K.

Post Malone

#MadeInAmerica Philly Shout out to @puma #PumaLife dtsmedia

A photo posted by Post (@postmalone) on

Although he’s not quite a household name yet, this rapper and singer is sure to blow up before the end of 2015. Wednesday at New York Fashion Week, the one and only Kanye West debuted his new song “Fade” featuring Malone and Ty Dolla $ign. 

He first gained popularity earlier this year when he collaborated with production team FKi on his tracks “White Iverson,” “Tear$” and “Too Young.”

Thomas Jack

This Australian DJ from “down under” likes to refer to his cool, relaxing and uplifting mixes as tropical house. His tracks often feature samples including Charlie Chaplin’s closing speech in “The Great Dictator.” 

See more: Thomas Jack talks Mad Decent Block Party, 'Tropical House' and new music

Jack also has an awesome habit of featuring live instruments on his songs, which is a unique characteristic of a 21st century musician in the DJ world. He has done remixes for popular artists such as One Republic, Of Monsters & Men and house producers like Adrian Lux.

What So Not

This electronic music project was originally founded by Aussie producer Emoh Instead and electro music star Flume. Earlier this year, Flume announced his departure from the group to focus on his successful solo-career. 

Before this, the pair gained huge attention in 2012 with their remix of “Get Free” by fellow headliners, Major Lazer, which ended up being released on the Mad Decent and Downtown record labels. What So Not’s latest EP was released this past May, and the tracks are sure to get the block party crowd pumped.

Yellow Claw

Interestingly enough, the Dutch trio Yellow Claw doesn’t consider itself a band, group or a project. Instead, they uniquely label themselves as a “party-concept” collective. Formed in 2010 by DJs Jim Aasgier, MC Bizzey and Snizzle, Yellow Claw reached fame by hosting parties at huge clubs in Amsterdam before achieving global success. 

In 2013, the group released bass-pounding single “Shotgun” featuring Rochelle on Spinnin’ Records, and the song’s video attracted over 62 million views on YouTube. This year, they released a set of tracks including “Wild Mustang” featuring Dutch DJ and producer Cesqeaux, and pop princess Becky G.

There might be even more dope surprise guests featured at the Block Party. For more information and tickets, click here.

Related link:

Zedd's 'True Colors' tour brings massive visuals and stunning bass drops to Comerica Theatre

Reach the reporter at kkingsum@asu.edu or follow @kaylakingsumner on Twitter.

×