Sarah Palin interviewed Republican frontrunner Donald Trump on One America News (OAN) in what seemed to be a “Trump Lovefest.”

First off, a former politician interviewing a wannabe politician does not seem highly credible. Second, how in the world was this allowed to happen?

This just baffles me. A former Tea Party governor interviewing possibly the most extreme conservative in the Republican primary (yes, I think Trump is more extreme than Paul). That was never going to be an unbiased and productive interview and in absolutely no circumstance should that interview have taken place.

It was painful to watch because it was primarily Palin spoon feeding Trump easy questions and backing him up on any complaints he had about “gotcha-journalism” or Megan Kelly’s poor journalistic integrity.  

She basically allowed Trump to regurgitate his platform and proceeded to subjectively defend and support his points rather than try to poke holes in his campaign and hold him accountable for the statements and mistakes he has made.  

This could have been a really good interview if Palin had taken it seriously and actually used her knowledge of the GOP and Tea Party to verify and debunk Trump's conservative claims. Instead, we got trash and an embarrassment to the field of journalism.

The press is considered to be the fourth check of power for the U.S. government and this interview was an abuse of power, not in the sense of plainly making it hard for a candidate to do anything but rather making it too easy for them. Palin said she didn’t understand how the questions directed towards Trump during the Fox News debate were “relevant towards running for the presidency.”  

Well, asking a candidate “When did you become Republican?” after he publicly stated he would identify himself as “more of a Democrat” back in 2004 doesn’t seem like “bullying” to me. You’ve got to be able to take it if you’re going to dish it out, Trump, and don’t call Mrs. "I Can See Russia From My House" in for backup when you can’t handle the heat.

Thousands gather at Phoenix Convention Center for Donald Trump rally

The next Teflon president: Why Donald Trump can not and should not be stopped

Reach the columnist at abkbundy@gmail.com or follow @abkbundy on Twitter.

×