Sexting is just a mistake, not a criminal offense

LIFE SELF-CPT-SEXTING DA
Melanie Young of McKinney, Texas, was humiliated when a nude photo she sent to a male friend was forwarded around her high school. 'I thought it was fun and just a way of flirting,' she said. 'I sent it to someone that I thought I could trust.'

A 14-year-old boy in England recently sent a naked picture of himself to a fellow classmate over the social media app, Snapchat. The picture was saved, quickly finding its way onto multiple classmate’s cellphones.

Upon hearing the situation, an officer at the boy’s school chose to take action; the police filed a criminal report on the boy, the Snapchat recipient and one other classmate.

One of these two were in the wrong. It’s not the 14-year-old boy.

The aforementioned criminal report is now on permanent file for up to 100 years, will show up in future job interviews for the teenagers and may well have the boy perceived as a sex offender in public perception. Such monumental consequences for a “crime” that has become almost as common as learning how to ride bike.

Drexel University recently surveyed undergraduate students, showing more than 50 percent of those surveyed admitted to sexting when they were minors.

Prosecutors may look at that number and say, “Well, those 50 percent are troubled and likely to repeat more severe sex crimes.” This theory could not be farther from the truth.

Another study published late last year in the journal, "Pediatrics," revealed teenagers who partook in sexting where not more likely to have more sexual partners or use drugs and alcohol than the average person who did not participate in sexting.

As much as they tried, researchers could not find a link between those who sexted and risky sexual behavior.

"Sexting is not associated with either good or poor mental well-being,” associate professor and psychologist at UTMB Jeff Temple said.

If the average, everyday kid is sexting, then why should they be subjected to the same potentially life-altering punishment that adult child molesters receive?

The numbers and studies have shown kids of all ages, backgrounds and grade point averages have done this at least once in their lives.

Is it a mistake? Yes, absolutely. However, I make mistakes every day. My classmates, my friends and even my (can you imagine?) professors make mistakes.

Are these slip-ups to the extent of sending naked pictures of myself to others? No, but they are as common as the act of sexting has become, which is why we as a society, law enforcement in particular, need to take a step back and avoid ruining a teenagers life for taking part in an increasingly frequent activity.

If law enforcement is not going to relax its grip over sexting, then the least they can do is educate teenagers about the risks, deterring the young generation to stop before they even start.

In the same study taken at Drexel University, 61 percent of respondents stated that they were unaware of potential ramifications and consequences sexting could provoke.

In a follow-up response, 59 percent reported that previous knowledge of potential legal trouble would have completely prevented them from sexting.

How can our society truly expect teenagers not to sext if they believe there are no legal risks involved?

If law enforcement is going to be so quick to file a criminal report and alter a teenager’s life forever, then police forces need to be equally as quick to hold seminars at middle schools and junior highs speaking on the dangers of sexting.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not proposing we endorse the act of sexting, but condemning it isn’t the answer either.

Why Do We Sext?

Sexting seeking parental supervision

Reach the columnist at spencerhann1995@gmail.com or follow @spencer_hann on Twitter.

×