Because of the high cost and complexity, going skydiving is difficult for many students, even though it makes many people's bucket lists. The ASU Dairdevils skydiving club helps students with starting skydiving and getting licensed.

The club has existed since 2011 and aims to represent ASU in the skydiving world as well as help students get involved. A small group of licensed jumpers, some veterans, started the club with the intention of competing as a collegiate skydiving team. 

Elections for leadership positions are this semester. Outgoing club president Daniel Volker appointed criminal justice graduate student Matt Farberov as the next president of the club.

"For the next year I kind of want to get it up on it's feet, I just want more people who like to go skydiving go skydiving," Farberov said. "I want to do some formation jumps with these guys. I want to get more people involved in skydiving and to build the community."

Volker said although the club has hundreds of students signed up, a core group of 10 licensed jumpers actively participate. He said in recent years the high cost of the sport forced many students to become inactive and in turn lose their license.

A first time tandem jump can cost upwards $200. A single parachute set can cost more than $5000.

While the Dairdevils attract many first time jumpers, their main goal is helping members get skydiving certification.

“My hopes are that (the new executive board) is able to work out some way of getting licensed jumpers into the club and get more jumpers licensed, Volker said. “We want to reduce the cost of getting licensed for everybody.”

Volker said in order to help alleviate some of the high prices associated with skydiving, the club receives certain discounts when they jump together.

Green Light, a skydiving equipment company, gives the Dairdevils discounts on coaching. 

“We usually come with a large group and students get discounts so it's much more affordable,” said Volker. “We've been really trying to get discounts for people trying to get licensed.”

Some members of the club are more serious than others about jumping. Erin Orwig, the club's alumni ambassador, said she is training to compete in skydiving competitions on the national level and is a two-time recipient of skydiving’s oldest award, the Star Crest. 

The Star Crest award is 48 years old and is a memorial award in honor of the late skydive photographer Bob Buquar. 

She said one of her favorite aspects of skydiving is watching people jump for the first time.

"I've brought a lot of people to do tandems, many students. Most people start out scared,” said Orwig. “It's great to see them land and they are so exhilarated and excited.”

Reach the reporter at Garrison.Murphy@asu.edu or follow @Garrison_Murphy on Twitter.

×