Tempe Police: Man steals purse, lays in dirt to avoid police

Police Beat photo

The Tempe Police station, which is located on Fifth Avenue near College Avenue. 

Tempe Police reported the following incidents Thursday: 

A Phoenix man was arrested on Oct. 19 in the 500 block of South Mill Avenue on suspicion of burglary, trespassing and false reporting to law enforcement, according to a police report. 

Police were called to the scene of a Tempe boutique store after the man was accused of entering the store through an employee-only entrance and stealing an employee's purse, police reported. 

The employee was able to track the purse, which contained her cell phone, through the Find My iPhone app and found that the man was at a Circle K on University Drive in Tempe, according to the report. 

Police found the man lying on a pile of dirt in the yard of a Tempe house, police reported. The man refused to leave the yard, and he said he lived there, according to the report.

The residents of the household said the man did not live there and did not know them personally, police reported. 

The man was transported to Tempe City Jail, where he was booked and held to see a judge, according to the report. 

A Phoenix man was arrested Oct. 22 in the 2900 block of East Roosevelt Street on suspicion of theft and trafficking stolen property, according to a police report. 

The man was accused of breaking into a local residence and stealing electronics and jewelry in July, police reported. The man later admitted to selling it at a local pawn shop, according to the report. The man blamed his actions on a prior cocaine habit, according to the report. 

The man was transported to Tempe City Jail, where he was booked and held to see a judge, police reported. 

Reports compiled by Jessica Suerth. 

Tempe Police: Marijuana pipe found in man's boots

Tempe Police: Men found smoking meth in local motel parking lot

×