ASU Police: ASU social media threat traced to Canadian juvenile

A helicopter circles above the Tempe campus on Monday, Nov. 2, 2015. ASU Police are investigating a shooting threat made against the University last night on the anonymous internet message board 4chan.

ASU Police Department has announced that the social media threat made against ASU Monday was traced to a 12-year-old boy in Canada.

Police said in a statement posted to its public Facebook page that the discovery was made through a collaboration with other authorities.

"Law enforcement officials determined through investigative work that the threat, which originated from the youth's online conversations on a gaming website, was not credible. The incident caused disruption on the ASU campus and the use of considerable resources to track it down," the statement read.

The 12-year-old apologized for his actions after he was contacted by Canadian authorities, according to the statement. 

"Because this individual is a juvenile, his name will not be released and preliminary information was that no charges would be filed," the statement read.

Reach the news editor at kgrega@asu.edu or follow @kelciegrega on Twitter

×