'City Light Movie Nights' film screenings celebrates localism in CityScape

People watch movies as part of 'City Lights Movie Nights' at CityScape in downtown Phoenix in July 2015.

In the midst of redevelopment, downtown Phoenix is constantly finding new ways to establish a modern and tasteful culture that welcomes a whole variety of people. The latest monthly tradition to take downtown Phoenix by storm is “City Lights Movie Nights.” 

Each month, a different hit film is shown outdoors at CityScape, in the dazzling heart of downtown. This event is free to the public, and centered in the lit-up space highlights the sunset-infiltrated city evenings. People can always bring their blankets and lawn chairs to get comfortable for the night.

This month’s film, beginning at 6:30 p.m. on Thursday evening, is Academy Award-winning comedy-drama, “Little Miss Sunshine,” starring Abigail Breslin.

CityScape marketing director Matt Bowman is one of the creative masterminds behind the film event, which attracts thousands of people each time.

“We chose ‘Little Miss Sunshine’… because a lot of it was filmed in Arizona, so it made sense to (show) that as our feature film,” Bowman said.

November’s “City Lights Movie Night” is bound to be a good time because the theme is “Celebrating Local Filmmakers.” Not only do you see a free hit film, but the event offers a chance to experience the innovative work of the best talent Phoenix has to offer. 

“We really wanted to reach people who tend to celebrate downtown and the development that’s been happening in the area,” Bowman said. “We’re celebrating locals, so we figured why not do a local movie night?”

The local film lineup includes: “Logan Must Make Star Wars” by Squishy Studios, “Bedrock’d” by Luke Hansen Media, “UNNATURAL” by James Choe, “Down for D” by Marco Kaiser and Jenny Cohen, “Colors” by Daniel Funkhouser, and “Buried” by Vinny Viti and Shane Stevens.

One of the local filmmakers, James Choe, is an intermedia studies senior at ASU. Choe worked with a film company called "No Festival Required" to help bring his film to CityScape.

“My project is about the difference between people and nature,” Choe said. “Nowadays, people are very confined to the city, and they don’t really get to experience nature like they used to.”

His film, “UNNATURAL” reinforces the importance of taking in the beauty of nature through our own eyes.

“The only way we get to see nature is through our desktops, or the photographs we see on the internet,” he said. “Personally, when I see something like that, I’m like ‘Wow!’ I want to be there.'”

Choe said he combined documentary footage of nature with his own noises and visuals to enhance the film.

Three of the films, “Colors,” “Down for D” and “Buried,” which all focus on the theme of doughnuts, were featured in a 48-hour film challenge titled “DINERWOOD.” The films were screened at Welcome Diner in Phoenix this past August.

Wayne Coats, who organized the 48-hour film challenge, said the films will offer “some inspiration to see what the community is doing, and a chance to be a part of that film community.”

Before each movie night, there’s giveaways and events for attendees to enjoy. This month, “City Lights Movie Nights” has partnered with Fractured Prune in CityScape to offer a free doughnut to the first 300 people to show up to movie night.  For the free doughnut and some free fun, attendees should get there at least half an hour early.

"City Lights Movie Nights" will be continuing into next year with more creative themes to come.

"We're really invested in downtown, and we want it to be more than just office buildings," Bowman said. "We really want it to be a sense of community, and that's what downtown Phoenix has become." These movie nights are more than a gathering to see films, they're about bringing the people of Phoenix and all its cultures together.

For more information on "City Lights Movie Nights," click here.

30 Years in the Making

"Story Days" project hopes to spread culture, history of Phoenix

Reach the reporter at kkingsum@asu.edu or follow @kaylakingsumner on Twitter.

×