The Underground Foundation's winter art show to feature cool talent from ASU students

TUF art

Courtesy photos by The Underground Foundation. Kirsten Webber, TUF's Chief of Staff and literature sophomore created the TUF Art Show poster on the left. 

As the semester comes to an end, several ASU programs are hosting holiday shows and performances to present Sun Devil community talent. The Underground Foundation is no different. On Saturday, the organization will host its winter art show for all to enjoy.

TUF may be known for its house shows featuring local musicians, however, the club gives a platform to hidden artistic talent on campus and the surrounding community.

Read More: The Underground Foundation invites all to first show of the semester

Kirsten Webber, TUF's Chief of Staff and English literature sophomore, said there is typically one art show during the winter and another in the spring. However, neither have a theme to reflect the season. 

"Art shows are important because it is the only event we have that is focused solely on art of any medium," Webber said. "At this point we have roughly 20 artists signed up."

Biology and society alumna Davina Kumar was involved with TUF during her college days and looks forward to showing her work this weekend. Kumar is South Asian and said she likes to bring those influences and culture into her work. 

"I draw a lot of my artistic inspiration from tattoo artists," she said. "I should say that the most riveting artists today work on skin. I think tattoo history is so rich and encompasses so many cultures, but when I look at a lot of the modern tattoos today, I don't see a lot of people of color represented within them. So in my drawings — not tattoos, just drawings — I am trying to represent those people and bring my own background and influences into the art." 

Clementine DeVallance, TUF's head of design and film senior, will host the show at her house. She always wanted to contribute her place for TUF events, but never was interested in having a rowdier house show there. The pieces she will be contributing were inspired by her camping trip to Flagstaff with friends while Christopher Nolan's "Interstellar" was playing in the background.

"I've always kind of wanted to show my stuff," DeVallance said. "I never have had a chance to and this is at my house so it's perfect. It's the easiest way to show my art at my house. My roommates are also artists and have been wanting to show their stuff for a very long time. It's a more low-key event."

View post on imgur.com

She also said people should not only come for the free soda, but the atmosphere as well. She added that students should feel comfortable visiting another student's house, as it will be a judge-free zone.

"Everyone is very nice," DeVallance said. "I'm very interested in seeing what other people can bring to the art show."

The event is free, but donations will be accepted. All funds go back into the club to support its end of the year show, Clusterfest. For more information visit TUF's Facebook event page.