ASU hockey returns home to host Alberta for two exhibition games at Oceanside

ASU SNHU Puck Tie Up For Puck

ASU freshmen forwards Matt Kennedy and Jordan Masters tie up with junior Penman defender Devin Murray and forward Joe Collins during the Sun Devils' 9-2 win over Southern New Hampshire on Friday, Oct. 23, 2015.

After dropping consecutive games to the Clarkson Golden Knights in upstate New York, ASU hockey returns home for a two-game exhibition set against the University of Alberta Golden Bears, their first games at Oceanside since Oct. 24. 

Alberta is 17-5 this season and second in their division having won their last six straight games. 

The Sun Devils (6-8) will look to gain some momentum against their first ever opponent from the Canadian Interuniversity Sport conference since becoming a Division I program, and face a Golden Bears team that can strike quickly and often offensively, collecting 14 total goals in their last two games.

“It’s been a long time since we got to play in front of our fans and we look forward to that same energy and a packed house from earlier this season," ASU coach Greg Powers said. "Alberta is a really good CIS team, and will be a difficult challenge before we continue on with our Division I schedule.”

Players to Watch:

University of Alberta

No. 4: Forward Jordan Hickmott

No. 40: Forward Levko Koper

No. 30: Goaltender Luke Siemens

The No. 3 Golden Bears, are coming off an inspiring performance at home versus the University of Lethbridge, the Golden Bears scored 14 goals in just two games and only allowed two. 

The scoring outburst including a 10-1 rout on Nov. 7, and top offensive producers Jordan Hickmott and Levko Koper each tallied goals. Hickmott leads the team with 23 points including 15 assists, with Koper right behind him Both players are +17 on the season.

Sporting a goals allowed average of 1.90, goalie Luke Siemens has played in 15 games this season and stopped 326 shots on goal, allowing just 29 goals so far in 2015. Siemens is 11-3 in games where he has gotten the decision, and has let in 10 goals in the teams last six consecutive victories.

ASU

No. 17: Forward Jordan Masters

No. 38: Goaltender Robert Levin

Despite a strong start to the road trip, the Sun Devils could not secure a victory against Clarkson, blowing a 2-1 lead in game one and then falling behind quickly in game two. While the offense sputtered late for ASU, freshman forward Jordan Masters continued his dominance, collecting points in each game to extend his streak to eight games. Masters assisted on the lone goal in a 4-1 defeat last Saturday as junior forward Ryan Ostertag scored his second of the season.

In his first action since sustaining a lower body injury versus Connecticut on Oct. 16, junior goaltender Robert Levin started between the pipes for the Sun Devils in their second game at Clarkson. Levin saved 25 shots and allowed four goals, but looked strong to start as he held the Golden Knights scoreless well into the second period. Levin could get the call for his first start at Oceanside Arena of the 2015 season this upcoming weekend, it would be his fourth appearance of the Divison I era for ASU.

Keys to Victory

As records will not be affected and statistics will not be tabulated for the two-game exhibition series, look for both the Sun Devils and the Golden Bears to mix things up around the ice.

The Sun Devils have drawn large crowds in their few home series this season, and will look to ride the raucous home crowd at Oceanside Arena in Tempe to a pair of home victories before heading off on a six game road trip.

Both teams will look to score early and often, and either team could find themselves in a large hole should they give up turnovers in the defensive zone or allow the opposing team to go on a man advantage.

ASU will look to shut down top playmakers for the Golden Bears offensive, including forward Jamie Crooks who has six points in his last three games played. Meanwhile, a pair of Sun Devil freshman phenoms Masters and defenseman Joey Ratts will look to stay hot offensively, both players collected five points each during the previous pair of games at Oceanside versus Southern New Hampshire last October.

Prediction

Game 1: Alberta; 5-3

Game 2: ASU; 5-2

ASU loses 4-1 to Clarkson, is swept in weekend series

ASU hockey drops series opener 3-2 to Clarkson

Reach the reporter at csafran@asu.edu and follow @ChrisSafran on Twitter.

×