Police investigate 'suspicious' package at Phoenix light rail station

A sign posted in a Taylor Place elevator advises students to avoid the light rail station on Central Avenue and Van Buren Street in Downtown Phoenix on Tuesday, Dec. 8, 2015. ASU sent out a text and email alert to students about a "suspicious package" on Tuesday evening.

Phoenix Police Department investigated a suspicious package located at the intersection of Central and Van Buren in downtown Phoenix Tuesday night.

At approximately 5:25 p.m., municipal security guards advised officers of suspicious items left in the area, Phoenix Police Sgt. Vince Lewis said.

Upon initial investigation, Lewis said the subject interfered with officer protocol and had other items on his person.

Police called in experts from the Phoenix Police bomb squad to get a closer look at the items left in the area and on the subject’s person, Lewis said.

Lewis said the items appeared to be camping stoves, which technicians determined to be safe.

The man was detained for interference with governmental operations dealing with the investigations of the officers, Lewis said.

Once the items were cleared an determined to be safe, Lewis said officers opened area again.

Accessibility to the buses and light rail were disrupted at the time of the investigation, Lewis said.

Damion Julian-Rohman contributed reporting to this story. 

Reach the news editor at aplante@asu.edu or follow @aimeenplante on Twitter

×