ASU men's basketball slides in Pac-12 power rankings

The Sun Devils fell further after a tough weekend.

Freshman guard Tra Holder drives to the basket against Arizona, Saturday, Feb. 7, 2015 at Wells Fargo Arena in Tempe. The Sun Devils defeated the Wildcats 81-78. (Ben Moffat/The State Press)

1. Oregon (16-4, 5-2 Pac-12)

The Ducks are in the top-10 in RPI and have played very well in conference play. Now that they're fully healthy, watch out for Oregon to maintain a hold at the top of the conference until the Pac-12 Tournament in Las Vegas.

2. Washington (13-6, 5-2 Pac-12)

The Huskies failed to grab No. 1 by virtue of a home loss to disappointing Utah, but they have still exceeded their preseason expectations. Senior guard Andrew Andrews is leading the freshman pups all the way to the top, and it doesn't appear like anyone can stop him.

3. USC (15-5, 4-3 Pac-12)

The Trojans dropped back-to-back games in the Beaver state, including a blowout loss to Oregon State, which may have exposed them as a pretender instead of a contender. USC can bounce back on Thursday against Washington State, the one "easy" game in the Pac-12.

4. California (14-6, 4-3 Pac-12)

The Bears picked up two much-needed home wins over the Arizona schools, and are working their way back to the preseason hype they were given. Cal hits the road to the mountains this weekend to try to build upon its new-found momentum. 

5. Arizona (16-4, 4-3 Pac-12)

While I think the Wildcats might be the most talented team in the conference, their play has left much to be desired. Their ranking may be lower than it should, but I have higher expectations for Arizona than any other team in the conference, and they aren't close to living up to them at the moment.

6. Colorado (15-5, 4-3 Pac-12)

A road split isn't the worst thing in the world for the Buffaloes, who remain over .500 in Pac-12 play. Senior forward Josh Scott is shooting nearly 60 percent from the field this season, and showing why he was so highly touted coming out of high school.

Check out photos from ASU men's basketball's loss to Washington

7. Utah (15-5, 4-3 Pac-12)

Three straight wins for the Utes have the team, led by sophomore forward Jakob Poeltl, back on track to compete for an NCAA Tournament bid. In Utah's big W over Washington Sunday, Poeltl dominated, scoring 29 points and grabbing 10 boards.

8. UCLA (12-8, 3-4 Pac-12)

The Bruins split their trip north and are still trying to find their footing. Junior guard Bryce Alford's clutch scoring can only do so much if the pieces around him can't compete on his level consistently, which hasn't happened often. UCLA is too talented to drop out totally, but mediocrity is not far off from the once perennial powerhouse.

9.Oregon State (12-6, 3-4 Pac-12)

A home win over formerly ranked USC ended a three-game skid, putting the Beavers right in the middle of the pack once again. A trip to the Valley of the Sun could prove critical for Oregon State, as it could send them on an elevator to the top or an insurmountable slide to the bottom of the Pac-12.

10. Stanford (11-7, 4-3 Pac-12)

The most low-profile team in the conference has traded wins and losses since conference play began, keeping the Cardinal hovering around .500. With no true star, all five starters for Stanford average over 10 points per game, giving them a variety of options offensively.

11. ASU (11-9, 1-6 Pac-12)

Another weekend, another two losses for the Sun Devil team that has won only one conference game thus far. ASU broke a 118-plus minute drought without holding a lead, but fell to Stanford at the buzzer on Saturday to send them home licking their wounds once again.

12. Washington State (9-10, 1-6 Pac-12)

The Cougars had a rough go of it at home this weekend, cementing them at the bottom of the conference once again. Junior forward Josh Hawkinson remains the lone bright spot, averaging 16.4 points and 10.9 rebounds per game, but there's only so much he can do for Wazzu.

10 ASU games to watch this semester

Sun Devil Snapshot: Jordan Masters makes history, three ASU squads sweep weekend

Reach the reporter at mtonis@asu.edu or follow @Tonis_The_Tiger on Twitter.

×