Tempe Police: Man breaks into boat store, says he doesn't know how he got in there

Police Beat photo

The Tempe Police station, which is located on Fifth Avenue near College Avenue. 

Tempe Police reported the following incidents Monday:

A 35-year-old man was arrested Jan. 2 on the 800 block of East Broadway Road on suspicion of criminal damage, burglary and aggravated criminal damage, according to a police report.

The man was seen breaking a window and entering a boat store when officers arrived because of a burglary alarm call, police reported.

After 20 minutes passed inside the building, he was seen leaving the building and was detained inside a fenced yard at the location, according to the report. 

Following the arrest, the man said he was in the building, but that he didn't know how he got inside, police reported.

He also said he used methamphetamine in the past, according to the report.

Inside the building there were items thrown around including a computer which was found next to the man's jacket, which he had removed before leaving the building, in the back of the storage area, police reported.

The front door of the store was damaged when the man broke in along with some other things in the store, according to the report.

Damages to the boat shop totaled up to $1,200, police reported.

Next to the building there was a cell tower that was also damaged with cut chains and wires, police reported.

There was copper wire missing from the building, there were shoe prints in the dirt matching the man's shoes and there was blood on the door handle which corresponded to a cut on his knuckle, according to the report.

Total damage to each of the properties totaled about $10,000, police reported.

The man was transported to Tempe City Jail, where he was booked and held to see a judge, police reported.

Report compiled by Megan Janetsky.

Tempe Police: Man steals car, hides marijuana in Pringles can

Tempe Police: Man attempts to return stolen items to Walmart

Reach the assistant news editor at megan.janetsky@asu.edu or follow @meganjanetsky on Twitter.

×