Tempe Police: Man attempts to return stolen items to Walmart

Police Beat photo

The Tempe Police station, which is located on Fifth Avenue near College Avenue. 

Tempe police reported the following incidents Wednesday:

A 24-year-old Phoenix man was arrested Jan. 1 on the 1300 block of West Elliot Road on suspicion of shoplifting and drug paraphernalia possession, according to a police report.

Officers arrested the man after investigation revealed that he had entered Walmart with an existing receipt and picked up several items listed from the receipt to return, police reported.

The selected items included a case of Dr. Pepper, NyQuil and hairspray, according to the report.

The man attempted to return the items as his previously purchased personal property, police reported.

Police contacted the man soon after he had received $20.60 in cash for the stolen property, according to the report.

Officers found a usable quantity of heroin in the man's jacket pocket, police reported.

Officers also discovered a white, straw-like tube, two pieces of of burnt aluminum foil and a blue straw with residue inside the left upper pocket of his jacket, according to the report.

During an interview, the man admitted that the drug was heroin and that he had used the tube and aluminum foil to smoke the heroin earlier in the day, police reported.

The man was transported to Tempe City Jail, where he was booked and released on pending charges, according to the report.

A 33-year-old Tempe man was arrested Jan. 4 on the 1800 block of East Rio Salado Parkway on suspicion of shoplifting and two counts of unlawful removal of a security device, according to a police report.

Officers arrested the man after members of the Target loss prevention team discovered the man had removed the security device on two drone helicopters and placed them in his cart, police reported.

The man had taken the security devices and hidden them in a blanket had placed in the cart, according to the report.

He had also concealed one of the drones under his jacket as he walked around the store, police reported.

During an interview, the man said he had placed the drone under his jacket and intended to steal it by walking out of the store, according to the report.

The man said he had found a security removal device in the parking lot of the store, police reported.

The man was transported to Tempe City Jail where he was booked and held to see a judge, police reported. 

Reports compiled by Aimee Plante.

Tempe Police: Belligerent man with handgun pees on bathroom floor

Tempe Police: Man spray paints ex’s new boyfriend’s car

Reach the news editor at aplante@asu.edu or follow @aimeenplante on Twitter

×