State Press Player of the Week: Mia Rycraw

Rycraw recorded 44 saves total over the four-match weekend (including exhibitions). ASU won all four against No. 14 Indiana.

ASU goalie Mia Rycraw prepares to deflect a shot-on-goal during a game against the Indiana University Hoosiers at Mona Plummer Aquatic Center in Tempe, Ariz., on Sunday, Jan. 24, 2015. The Sun Devils won the game with a final score of 23-4.

Some students would be surprised to hear that ASU has a water polo team. More would be surprised to hear that it’s good.

ASU water polo has an explosive offense and the team is led by a former Olympian. It’s ranked No. 6 in the nation.

In fact, "good" might be an understatement. In four matches (two regular, two exhibition, which don't count toward its record), ASU swept No. 14 Indiana. Redshirt sophomore goalie, Mia Rycraw started all four, playing half of both exhibition matches and recorded 44 saves over the weekend.

For this, Rycraw is the State Press Player of the Week.

ASU won the first game 10-5 behind Rycraw’s 16 saves. Indiana didn’t score until halftime, by which time ASU led 6-0.

In the second game, Indiana had two points at the half, and ASU had a four-point lead.

She finished the match with 15 saves and three steals.

She struggled a little in the third game (an exhibition game), allowing six goals and getting six saves in the single half that she played. In the fourth (also an exhibition game), she bounced back, giving up only two points and allowing ASU to take an 11-2 lead by the half.

The Sun Devils are officially 2-0. Unofficially, they’ve won 13 games, including the exhibitions to begin the season.

Honorable mention:

Jordan Masters helped ASU hockey get back in the win column.

Well, not technically. Its two victories over Ohio State were exhibition matches because Ohio State plays in the ACHA.

Nevertheless, the Sun Devils tasted victory for the first time in 13 games. Masters scored a hat trick in the second one, the first ever for ASU.

“I can’t even remember the last time I had one, so it's good to get back," he said.

State Press Player of the Week: Desirae Krawczyk

ASU water polo sweeps the weekend

Reach the sports editor at logan.newman@asu.edu or follow @Logan_Newsman on Twitter.

×