Dear couples,

This Sunday is Valentine’s Day, and that means you're getting your partner something cute like chocolate, flowers or a giant teddy bear and getting laid that night, right?

Wrong.

I’m not saying I’m against all that, because I’m like any other person, and we have our needs. But of all days, Valentine’s Day should be like all the rest of them.

Yes, you heard me correctly. If you truly love your partner then you shouldn’t behave any differently just because every commercial or poster has hearts all over it. However, that shouldn't stop you from going forward with your special plan for the day. After all, it is a holiday.

Don’t lose the magic because you’ve done your part on Feb. 14. Keep being creative and finding special ways to make your partner happy.

This day isn’t the be-all and end-all for couples. Love is a two-way street, so only when both partners deliver is it ever truly love.

But that delivery can come in many different ways. If one partner goes all out, right away but the other bides their time and still delivers, that is completely fine. What matters is both partners being happy and understanding one another in the end.

You shouldn’t care about how far they go in bed with you that night or how much money they spent on you. You should make sure they are happy every second of the day, make sure they feel like royalty and make sure they know that you would do anything for them.

You should tell them they are beautiful every day, bring their favorite things over when they are feeling sad, cuddle them and make them feel safe in your embrace.

But most of all, just tell them you love them. They’re three small words so many of us are afraid to say. If you know you would drop everything for them and want nothing but their happiness and their smile in your life, then it’s worth telling them.

Don’t expect to hear it back right away, because like anything, love takes time to reciprocate. Your partner will appreciate the patience and if they truly care about you like you do for them, it will all work out.

If you take anything away from this message from an ordinary schmuck like me, remember this — keep the magic alive, stay creative and be patient.

I once found a fortune on the ground of the elevator, it read: “All things come to he who waits.” Boy, did that prove to be true for me. Happy Valentine’s Day, everyone.

Sincerely,

Austen Bundy

How to have a bibliophilic Valentine's day

5 Dont's for Singles on Valentine’s Day

Reach the columnist at abundy@asu.edu or follow @abkbundy on Twitter.

×