Jack of all Clubs: Gospel Choir

ASU Gospel Choir practices in Gammage on Thursday, Feb. 18, 2016, in Tempe.

Each week reporter Jeff Darge searches campus for a new club to join.

Sometimes singing is a talent people have and never realize. Other times, singing is a talent people definitely do not have but still manage to brag about. No matter what category you fall under, ASU Gospel Choir has a place for you.

When I walked into the meeting, I was afraid that I would stick out like a sore thumb. As the meeting drew closer, however, I noticed that the gospel club is pretty big. About 50 people walked into the room, which calmed my nerves. Hopefully, I thought, I could blend in.

The meeting began and music professor and instructor Jason Thompson read off a few notes about an upcoming performance. 

Thompson noted that there were a growing number of faces in the club and took a few minutes out of the class to encourage members to meet three people they had not met before. I get the feeling that this happens often to encourage group cohesion as the choir grows.

After the housekeeping was finished, the singing began. The gospel club takes the structure of any other choir class. Thompson told the choir which song would come first, and members of the group pulled out their sheet music. I quickly realized that I had no sheet music and therefore did not have the lyrics to this or any other song.

I was worried that I would be a burden to someone else by asking them to share their sheet music. However, at the beginning of every song, someone was happy and willing to share with me.

While I was still trying to figure out my singing range, I got to observe Thompson lead his class. He is the glue bonding this group together. His teaching style is one of passion for the art and a love of teaching. He gets his class to laugh and sing as one unit.

Arts sophomore Natalie Clement said Thompson has an incredible amount of energy.

"His rehearsal techniques are inspiring and energizing," she said.

The gospel club is unlike any choir I have seen. There is a large amount of dancing and clapping that goes along with the singing. This encourages the rhythm of the song and helps the singer get into the music. 

Furthermore, the accompanists are a drummer, a percussionist, a pianist and a harmonica player. This choir grooves more than Randy Jackson — and he grooves a lot.

Business freshman Ben Vitone said the choir is a good pick-me-up during the week.

"It's a good weekly, high-energy time," he said. "It's a mood booster twice a week."

One thing I loved about the choir was the support that exists in the music itself. In gospel, performers are encouraged to vocally cheer for the soloists. During points in the song where the choir is not singing, they are encouraged to clap to a rhythm that keeps the performer in time.

As the meeting drew to a close, I took the opportunity to talk to a few choir members to get a further understanding of the club.

Assistant director to the group and graduate student Tavious Peterkin said he wants members to gain something from the choir each time they come in and truly have a growing experience.

"We do not want you to come and leave the same way you came," he said.

When it came to joining the club, everyone I talked to made the simple suggestion: Just come once to see how you like it.

Those interested in joining the gospel choir can attend one of their meetings in GGMA 301 on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 4:30 p.m.

Reach the reporter at jdarge@asu.edu or follow @jeffdarge on Twitter.

Like The State Press on Facebook and follow @statepress on Twitter.

×