Participation trophies aren't coddling, they keep youth involved in sports

Participatory trophies reinforced positive values for me until my early teens; then they became obsolete.

BIZ WRK-BALANCINGACT MI
The Bejerano family; wife, Karin Bejerano; and her husband, Andres Bejerano; poses for a photo with their son Trystan (1); left, and Bryson, (11), right; at one of their games Saturday, Aug. 22, 2105, in Kendall, Fla. Andres coaches his son's football team and helps with shuttling kids to activities. (Peter Andrew Bosch/Miami Herald/TNS)

Older generations have charged our millennial generation with having a sense of entitlement. Many have linked the collection of participatory trophies in youth sports to a generation that doesn't want to work for what they want; they want it handed to them.

Participation trophies have not negatively impacted my life; on the contrary, they have reinforced the important values that define me as an individual today.

I started playing soccer when I was 5 years old and progressed up the organized soccer ladder to a club, then a high school junior varsity team. At the earlier stages, roughly ages 5 through 11, my team and I were given trophies at the end of the season. The coach usually gave a speech about how proud he was of his team, and we all gawked at the shiny trophies and showed them off to our parents.

"Children and youth who participate in organized sports are higher achievers in terms of grades and dropout rates, as well as related measures of academic achievement such as homework completion, educational aspirations and more," according to Ann Rosewater's report.

Earning a trophy, even if my team did not win the championship, developed my goal-oriented mindset. I attribute my success in academia and professional life to this thought process because I always seek to achieve awards such as dean's list, scholarships and recognition of success in the workplace or more opportunities within that position.

I did not receive the sense of entitlement or an idea of superiority from my little trophies that many critics are speaking of lately. Instead, the trophies placed emphasis upon the positive habits that sports develop. These include working hard at goals, putting forth maximum effort and working with my teammates and the coach to achieve the best results.

Source: ESPN

If we want more children to continue playing sports, then we should not take away participatory trophies. They add to the fun experience of the sport itself. Trophies, pizza parties and the friendship development aspect of youth sports all play a key role in developing the excitement and fun experience that keeps children actively involved.

After the age of about 11, participation trophies become obsolete anyways because at that point children have their eyes set on more competitive achievements such as first-place finishes or tournament victories. Before then, we should continue to hand trophies out to the players to aid the fun experience for the child in their sport of choice.

In order for our youth to develop the positive habits that sports reinforce, such as accomplishing goals, working with teammates and coaches and putting forth effort in daily actions, then we must add to the excitement and fun of youth sports by handing out participatory trophies.

Athletes’ rock star lifestyles setting bad examples for youth

Volleyball athletes inspire local youth players

Reach the columnist at Graham.Paul@asu.edu or follow @GrahamASUpress on Twitter.

×