ASU water polo forces turnovers, pummels CSUB

Maud Koopman had two goals and two assists for ASU in the opening game of the day.

Sun Devil attacker Lena Mihailovic prepares to pass the ball during a game against the Indiana University Hoosiers at Mona Plummer Aquatic Center in Tempe, Ariz., on Sunday, Jan. 24, 2015. The Sun Devils won the game with a final score of 23-4.

On Saturday morning, No. 9 ASU water polo scored 13 goals.

This number seemed meek next to the mass amount of turnovers No. 24 California State University, Bakersfield committed.

ASU forced 32 turnovers. Bakersfield struggled to get any momentum against the strong Sun Devil defense, who only allowed four goals. On offense, ASU took advantage, pummeling the CSUB goalies with 34 total shots. In sharp contrast to the Roadrunners, ASU only turned the ball over seven time.

Redshirt senior defender Ao Gao got the scoring started for the Sun Devils. She was assisted by freshman attacker Maud Koopman, who would go on to have a big day.

Koopman quickly assisted senior defender Katie Sverchek, doubling the lead for the Sun Devils.

After four turnovers between the teams, ASU got back on board with a goal from sophomore attacker Lena Mihailovic. After Gao secured another turnover to lead to another goal, this one by Koopman.

With 37 seconds left in the first period, ASU sophomore utility player Taylor Bertrand scored. The Sun Devils weren't quite finished; with one second left in the period, Mihailovic was able to extend the lead.

ASU had a 6-0 advantage after the first period of play.

Koopman scored her second goal in the next period, giving her a pair of goals and assists. Her contributions helped catalyze the offensive production and lead to a win.

CSUB finally got on the board when it put a penalty shot past redshirt sophomore Mia Rycraw. It helped them gain some momentum, as the team put in two more goals in the second period, but ASU's offense was too effective. The Sun Devils expanded the lead to 10-3 in the period.

They gained a little bit of momentum from that first goal scoring two more in the second period, but ASU's offensive was too effective and were able to expand the lead to 10-3 after the second period.

The Sun Devils went on to score three more goals to take a 13-4 victory over the Roadrunners. They will face Redlands at 4:30 pm in continuation of the ASU Invitational tournament.

Reach the reporter at Graham.Paul@asu.edu or follow @GrahamASUpress on Twitter.

×