Electrical fire at ASU Gammage results in campus power outages

Gammage II
Grady Gammage Memorial Auditorium is pictured facing Mill Avenue in Tempe on Tuesday, Jan. 12, 2016.

Tempe Fire Department and Tempe Police responded to a electrical fire call at ASU Gammage early Friday morning around 2 a.m.

Hans Silberschlag, media relations officer for Tempe Fire Department, said maintenance workers originally smelled smoke in the tunneling system.

He said a motor had burnt out and there was an electrical fire in one of the electrical vaults. When crews entered the electrical vault area there was no fire, only a slight odor.

“Our crews never located a fire and have turned over the scene to ASU officials,” wrote Silberschlag in an email.

ASU sent an advisory at around 3 a.m. saying there was a University-wide power outage. However, Tempe Fire said the power outage was isolated to the area near Gammage.

Kari Amarosso, director of media relations at Gammage, said not all the power has been restored, but they are working on resolving the issue. Amarosso said everything should be back to normal shortly.

Gammage, currently showing A Gentleman’s Guide to Love and Murder, has a performance at 7:30 p.m. She said that the show should proceed as normal.

“Do not expect any interference with Gammage programming tonight as of right now,” she said.

Reach the assistant news editor at megan.janetsky@asu.edu or follow @meganjanetsky on Twitter.

×