ASU alumni gear up for Pat's Run in cities across the country

ASU alumni are organizing runs across the country

This will be the 12th annual Pat's Run held in honor of Pat Tillman. 

Thousands of ASU alumni from New York to Hawaii are gearing up for Pat’s Run this weekend — but their plans don’t include buying plane tickets to Arizona.

On April 23, ASU will hold its 12th annual Pat’s Run in Tempe, the cornerstone fundraising event of the Pat Tillman Foundation. Alumni from across the nation are participating in the event by holding “shadow runs” in their respective cities.

Pat’s Run is held yearly in Tempe and commemorates the life and legacy of Tillman, an ASU alumnus who lost his life in Afghanistan serving in the 75th Ranger Regiment. The proceeds from the run support the Pat Tillman Foundation, which assists military veterans and their spouses by providing academic scholarships.

Alissa Pierson, the vice president of Programs and Constituent Relations for the ASU Alumni Association, said the shadow runs connect ASU alumni that are touched by Pat Tillman’s legacy.

“ASU alumni across the country want to be a part of this inspiring event that honors the legacy of a Sun Devil," Pierson said. "By hosting shadow runs in their communities, they can connect and engage with other ASU alums as well as anyone who wants to pay tribute to Pat Tillman and the sacrifice he made for our country.”

Shadow runs are organized by members of the ASU Alumni Association and its various chapters. Members volunteer to be their chapter’s team captain. The majority of the runs are held the same day as Pat’s Run in Tempe.

Alice Faggi, who graduated ASU in 1999, is in her fourth year as a team captain in San Diego. She coordinates with multiple organizations to ensure the event’s success.

“I coordinate with the Alumni Association and the Pat Tillman Foundation on dates, times and location," Faggi said. "I also work with the local ASU Alumni Board and help them promote the event through their network.”

She said the shadow runs are a great addition to Pat’s Run because it gives alumni residing far from Tempe the chance to be a part of Pat’s Run.

“He touched so many lives and people are so willing to give back and participate in what the Pat Tillman Foundation is doing for our military, that the runs give those of us who can't make it to Tempe for the race a chance to be a part of something bigger,” Faggi said.

Sean Pate, a 1997 graduate, has been a team captain since 2009. He coordinates the shadow run in San Francisco. He said the San Francisco run attracts new participants every year.

“We normally have about 70-80 people at the event, which keeps it manageable. The attendees vary from year to year, so we always have a new batch of interested parties,” Pate said.

Pierson said that the number of shadow runs and run participants nationally has increased in the last few years. 

“Through a partnership with the Tillman Foundation, we’ve grown from 8 runs in 2009 to 32 shadow runs in 2016," Pierson said. "Last year, we had more than 3,000 runners, including military veterans, Tillman admirers and Sun Devil alumni."

Related links:

Tillman’s legacy at Pat’s Run continued by 28,000

How I remember Pat Tillman: A Sun Devil and American hero

Reach the reporter at sdave1@asu.edu or follow @simdave15 on Twitter.

×