ASU student balances successful modeling career, chemical engineering

Abena Prempeh
ASU chemical engineering sophmore Abena Prempeh poses for a portrait, on Saturday, April 16, 2016, in Phoenix, AZ. Prempeh, who is from Ghana, West Africa, has been modeling for almost a year.

Engineering sophomore Fremah Abena Prempeh went from living the life of a typical Western African girl, to becoming a renowned name in Arizona’s modeling industry. As if that is not enough, she is also pursuing an undergraduate degree in chemical engineering.

“Modeling wasn’t part of the plan growing up in an African setting,” Prempeh said. “I just didn’t see myself in that field."

She said she entered the modeling industry on Aug. 31, 2015, and she has kept moving forward since.

A photo posted by Fremah Prempeh (@fremahprempeh) on

Prempeh's eyes are focused on maximizing her capabilities and allowing her potential to take her to heights she had never imagined before.

“I like to take on challenges, and I do not focus on one type of modeling because as you may know, the industry is broad, and one can multitask,” she said. 

Due to the vast opportunities available to her, she is involved in runway, editorial, print and commercial modeling, and she said she believes more fortune is coming her way soon.

Prempeh's boyfriend and modeling colleague Emmanuel Yanquaye said he is fascinated by how she manages to balance her school work and modeling career concurrently. 

“I admire the fact that she doesn't settle for things,” Yanquaye said. “She knows what she wants in life, and she has no thought of settling for anything less.”

Prempeh said she is proud of all she has achieved in life, both as an engineering student and a prominent model. 

“Modeling has made me this confident woman I never thought I could be,” she said. “It has made feel beautiful and happy in whatever body type, and I think that's really important to the youth and even adults.”

Prempeh said her main challenge is the prejudice that some people in the industry have toward models of different races. 

“But I don’t let that get to me, as when it happens i just move on to greater opportunities,” she said

Prempeh said she believes in the power and strength of support systems, especially during disappointing and heartbreaking moments. She said her support system is made up of her loved ones and prayer.

“These combined make the worst days the best,” she said.

Akila Oluchi by DBST Chief Executive Officer and designer Shawannah Thompson said she has casted Prempeh in a lot of modeling projects, and through all of them, Prempeh has exhibited high levels of professionalism and punctuality. 

"Fremah is a very bright young lady that has a unique look for runway, high fashion and editorial modeling," Thompson said. "Fremah will go very far being a model and having a professional career."

Prempeh said she plans to take her modeling career only as far as her engineering degree allows her, because her academic education remains a priority. 

“My short term goal is to be signed and ... become one of the best in the industry,” she said.

When asked about the secret to her success, Prempeh said beauty comes from within. 

“You have to see and feel beautiful even before people do,” she said, “The more confident you are, the more potentials you unlock within yourself.”

Reach the arts reporter at smareker@asu.edu or follow @shantie_chido on Twitter.

×