ASU's Got Talent to stage the diverse talent of Sun Devils

An "ASU's got Talent," sign is pictured on Sunday, April 10, 2016, on the Tempe campus.  

Imagine a stage displaying the talent of contrasting personalities, diverse backgrounds and hidden artistic talents. This is ASU's Got Talent, the first of its kind to hit the Memorial Union North Stage on Tuesday.  

Culture@ASU and ASU student life are organizations that seek to explore this idea of putting on events that students are interested in participating in on campus. 

Associate Dean of Students Cassandra Aska said the event does just this, while also displaying the diverse talent of Sun Devils.

“This coming Tuesday is going to be a clear illustration of the fact that the power of ASU community lies in our ability to celebrate our richness in culture,” Aska said.

Ready for the show? Attend the first annual ASU's Got Talent TOMORROW at 7:00 p.m. at the MU North Stage in Tempe. See who the next #ASUGT superstar will be! http://bit.ly/1MfsAJf

Posted by ASU New College on Monday, April 11, 2016

She also said this is the first event of this nature that ASU has held, and her office is hoping that a lot of students will turn up to support their fellow Sun Devils, who will be sharing their gifts with friends and strangers alike.

“This is big," Aska said. "This is exciting. I urge as many students as possible to come out, and make their vote count."

Performances will range from beat-boxing to hip-hop dancing and even magic tricks. The show will feature three bands that include Vintage Wednesday, The Royal and 76th Street. ASU Andaaz and Sterling Stew Goods will also be adding color to the talent show with their choreography to heat up the stage.

Students can also look forward to a demonstration of musical talents from Tatiana Crespo and Sir Mud, whereas magician Gabe Lim and beat-boxer DjB3AN will add some vibe to the event with their unique talents.

Interdisciplinary arts and performances junior Tatiana Crespo said she will be showcasing her musical talent at the show. Crespo said she is looking forward to the bonding spirit that culminates from supporting each other as ASU students.

“The last time I performed at MU North stage, you could feel the spirit of oneness that surrounded the atmosphere, and it was truly an amazing feeling,” she said.

She also said she was hoping that the talent show could become an annual event that students can expect every year.

“I know that a lot of students applied to perform, but most did not get in," Crespo said. "Making it an annual show would give more students the platform to share their unique talents with the broader scholars platform.”

Instead of formal classroom interactions, students are able to demonstrate their usually hidden talents, build community and share aspects of themselves by attending a night of fun.

Law graduate student Gabriel Lim said he is honored to participate in ASU's first ever talent show. 

“It has given me a chance to rekindle my passion in magic,” Lim said. 

He also said that over the past year he has been swamped with school and work, which has not allotted him time to practice nor play with magic. 

“Many of my friends are really interested in seeing me return to action, and I can not wait to see what other students have to bring to the table,” Lim said. 

In order to participate in ASU’s Got Talent, students can register through Culture@ASU's website, to be a part of the event. 

The winners from ASU’s got talent will also be participating at the last Express Yourself, a performance series that takes place between 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. every Monday, the following Monday before finals.

They

Don't miss out on another great Express Yourself event happening tomorrow at 11:30 on the Mu North Stage. Here is a clip of the duo They who performed last week!

Posted by Culture at ASU on Sunday, April 10, 2016

Performers will compete in four categories: music, spoken word, comedy and dance. The audience will have the privilege to vote for the best performance in each category. The winners will get a chance to walk away with cash prizes ranging from $500 to $1500.

The show will take place April 12 at 7 p.m. at the MU North stage on the ASU Tempe campus.

Related links:

Talents flourish at intimate Gammage open mic night'America's Got Talent' finalist entertains at Phoenix club Stand Up Live

Reach the arts reporter at smareker@asu.edu or follow  @shantie_chido on Twitter.

×