State Press Player of the Week: The Real Dream Team

ASU's Heroes of the Dorm team won the national championship over the weekend, and honorable mention Jon Rahm won the ASU Thunderbird Invitational on April 3.

The Real Dream Team members celebrate after their Heroes of the Dorm championship victory on Sunday, April 11, 2016, in Seattle, Washington.

Sociology senior Austin “Shot” Lonsert fell to the ground in tears and elation after calling his mother.

He had just won the Heroes of Dorm national championship with his team, The Real Dream Team.

The players, hailing from ASU, won free college tuition and a gaming PC Belt by Cyber Power.

April’s first Player of the Week recipient isn’t a single player — it’s a whole team. That’s how incredible this group performed over the weekend.

On Sunday night, The Real Dream Team won the championship in three straight victories over the University of Texas at Arlington. As members of the team fought team fights, business communication sophomore Michael “MichaelUdall” Udall took on guardians in infernal shrines and cleared mercenary camps. The hero combination of him and electrical engineering junior Parham “Pham” Emami worked very well in the championship map, elevating the team.

Super senior in criminal justice Stefan “akaface” Anderson’s Blink Heal ability came in handy, Isaiah "Snickers" Rubin exceeded expectations as a newcomer on the team and Shot used a four-man Void Prison in the final game, helping ASU take the title.

This wasn’t their first sweep of the weekend. They swept the entire tournament and didn't lose a single game.

ASU went 19-0 with 13 kills and just five deaths. The game length averaged just over 16 minutes.

Honorary mention: Jon Rahm

In case you missed it, Jon Rahm continued to perform spectacularly on the golf course. Just over a week ago on April 3, he won the ASU Thunderbird Invitational for the third time, a record for any individual golfer.

It was his ninth collegiate tournament victory, putting him in second place in ASU history behind only Phil Mickelson. He hit only three bogeys in the tournament.

Rah has finished in the top-ten in every tournament this season, and in 21 of his 23 internationals. He’s set to graduate as one of the best golfers to attend ASU.

Social media editor Danica Barnett contributed reporting to this article.

Reach the sports editor at logan.newman@asu.edu or follow @Logan_Newsman on Twitter.

×