Tempe Police: Man hops fence to dumpster dive, steals from car instead

Police Beat photo

The Tempe Police station, which is located on Fifth Avenue near College Avenue. 

Tempe police reported the following incident Wednesday:

A Mesa man was arrested April 6 on the 4900 block of South Calle Los Cerros Drive on suspicion of burglary and unlawful entry, according to a police report.

Officers approached the scene while the man was in the front passenger seat of a vehicle he was attempting to steal from, police reported.

Upon confrontation, the man began walking away with a knife in his hands and would not acknowledge police, according to the report.

Officers stopped the man at gunpoint, and he finally dropped his knife, police reported.

During an interview, the man said he had jumped the apartment wall with the intent of searching dumpsters on the property, according to the report.

The fence surrounding the complex is 5 to 7 feel tall and have no "No Trespassing" signs posted, police reported.

The man said he did not know the owner of the vehicle and that he had intended to enter the vehicle to steal money from inside, police reported.

The man was transported to Tempe City Jail, where he was booked and held to see a judge, according to the report.

Report compiled by Aimee Plante.

Related links:

Tempe Police: Man drunk on Hennessy asks officers to shoot him

Tempe Police: Man arrested after running and singing on top of a Tempe residence

Reach the news editor at aplante@asu.edu or follow @aimeenplante on Twitter

Like The State Press on Facebook and follow @statepress on Twitte

×